Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goodground

Most Popular Tomato

goodground
9 years ago

Besides all the well deserved Brandy Boy hype recently sparked by Hudson's AWESOME grow & pics, I think Cherokee Purple is still one of the most popular tomatoes on these boards. I too will be hunting down Brandy Boys seeds for next year. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1385359}}

Comments (20)

• goodground
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also growing Gypsy for the first time since they sent a free pack of seeds. So far not as large as CP but more productive. This plant has multiple clusters of 8 with about 50 total. Brandy Boy will take their spot next year.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1385360}}

• fireduck
    9 years ago

g...I agree with CP being an awesome tomato. I am no mater expert (7 varieties last year and 8 this year). But, I like my CP's the best. I am still trying to like my Mortgage Lifter. I think they are getting better with time...but maybe I should pick with green shoulders. I may have let some get over-ripe.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Goodground,

I agree with you. From all the posts and comments here, I can say that Cherokee Purple is very popular. In the grape size Sun Gold is also seems o be the most popular.

BTW, I am growing both of those. So far no ripe CP in my garden but have been picking SG from mid July. I like them. Not very sweet but really tasty.

• goodground
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Fireduck,
    I was told by my wife that I let my toms get too ripe. This year I have been picking everything that blushes because I can't wait. lol

Seysonn,
    Picked my first CP to ripen on counter today. Already tasted about half dozen Gypsy but they were small. Plenty of both to come.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Talking about Most Popular.
    Here is a picture of some Cherokee Purple on one of my plants. The are big. Over one pound each for sure. But not ripe (sigh)

• lr4ten
    9 years ago

CP are my best perfomers.
    Great taste. Also earliest to ripen.
    Also grew Moskvich. Nice flavor, decent production.
    Brandywine, only a handful of BIG maters.

• hudson___wy
    9 years ago

Goodground - your CPs look awesome! I am also a fan of CPs - I wish I could grow them a great as you and Seysonn! They do OK in our GH - but one has to figure out what varieties grow the best in ones climate! We only planted one CP plant this year and have enjoyed the taste immensely - I would grow more of them but my wife does not care for the color or taste of the CP - but tolerates them for me :)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Hudson. your CPs look delicious.
    I can't wait for mine to ripen. Any day now. But on the positive note, we've been enjoying Sun Gold, another big favorite, for a month now.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

delete dble post

This post was edited by seysonn on Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 19:39

• dodge59
    9 years ago

From reading, as well as "Personal Experience", I think another very popular tomato is the Kellogg's Breakfast.

We've had a "banner year" as far as tomato production goes, and have given away a lot of tomatoes, (all beefsteaks of various types).

When my wife or I ask (whoever we gave the tomatoes to)
    "Which tomato did you like best"?, the answer has been, "Kellogg's Breakfast".
    It is also my wife's favorite tomato. They tend to be large, (one was 1.4 lbs), and most about a pound or close to it. Only my Green Giant tomato has produced more.

Gary

• goodground
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hudson, my wife feels the same way about the CP's that's why I am going to plant Brandy Boy's next year per your recommendation. If they come out like yours, I'm sure she will like them. Happy growing!

• bigpinks
    9 years ago

I had 17 CP plants this yr and most did very well. I too had some big fruit from these. I love the taste. Next for me are the red/yellow bi color. I like the pinks and reds too but I am a sweet tomato fanatic.

• Baby G (USDA:10a, Sunset:21&23 SoCal-NE. Mt Washington, Lo-Chill: 200-400 Hrs, So
    9 years ago

I grow sungold and sweet 100 and a dozen or more full size heirlooms. But darnit -- sweet cherry 100 is my son's and husband's favorite.

• hudson___wy
    9 years ago

I agree goodground - Brandy Boy is a good option - hope they grow good in your area! They even look good to eat and have a great tomato taste - I think she will like them - I would bet on it - if she likes tomatoes - she will like Brandy Boy!

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Gary, I think you are right about " Kellogg's Breakfast. ". I have not grown it but have read so many positive reviews on it in the past.

So here we go: I will add "Brandy Boy", Kellogg's Breakfast to my "KEEP" list of Siletz, Cherokee Purple, Sun Gold, Matina, Bloody Butcher.
    Few are still being observed for taste and performance : Legend, Siberian and Mortgage Lifter (RC), Bush Steak, Husky Red.

Because of my space shortage, I am focusing more on determinants and semis like: Siletz, Husky, Bush steak, Siberian, Legend. I am also growing a red cherry from store bought heirloom, that is semi-det and prolific as well.

• dodge59
    9 years ago

Boy!!! Awsome "pickins' Hudson, I want to try a Brandyboy next year, but I DON"T want the kind of production you are getting, (I'm tired of delivering maters to the neighbors)!!!

So how would you compare taste of the CP to BK, Seyson?
    CP will probably be on my grow list next year, alto I sure like the taste, juiciness, texture , inside color of the BK and On and On~~~~~~all except for small sized maters this year~~~Maybe they sold me a "Midget BK", ya thinks?

Gary

• seysonn
    9 years ago

So how would you compare taste of the CP to BK, Seyson?
    %%%%%%%%%%

I would say they are about the same.
    The reason that I am growing BK, is because of poor yield, cracking and small fruits.

• dodge59
    9 years ago

"The reason that I am growing BK, is because of poor yield, cracking and small fruits"?

I "assume" that you meant, "The reason I'm NOT Growing BK next year is because~~~~~"???

Thanks!

Gary

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Right, Gary, "...reason I am NOT ...."

• daniel_nyc
    9 years ago

My Top 5:

1. Mortgage Lifter
    2. Celebrity
    3. ParkâÂÂs Whopper
    4. Rose
    5. Giant Belgium

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!