Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing yellow pear tomatoes on balcony

Posted by yippee1999 6/7 NYC (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 12 at 21:55

Hi everyone. This is my first time growing vegetables on a balcony in pots. My yellow pear tomato plant is looking very strong and I can see a few little yellow flowers. Someone was telling me that in order for them to fruit, they need bees to pollinate them. Living with a 4th floor balcony, I don't see many insects around (though just the other day I DID happen to see a bee on the balcony). But....without being close to other greenery, trees etc..... will my balcony actually ATTRACT bees? What is it that would make them make a special stop here? ;-) Can they somehow actually detect or smell or understand even from a distance, that I may have plants here that they'd want to pollinate?

My little yellow flowers have been on the plant for maybe a week now with no discernible change. I fear that bees may not come and so my plant will never actually bear fruit... ?

Tx!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing yellow pear tomatoes on balcony

Tomatoes are self pollinating and bees are Not needed.
Give the plant a little shaking each day while flowering helps release more pollen.
There are far better choices of toms to grow than Yellow Pear.Many here and myself included do not care for them .

o

Most of the regular bees can't really pollinate tomatoes all that well. Bumblebees, due to their mass, are much more efficient as they can efficiently break the *insert term here* in the flower. Just shake, shake, shake, senora ;)

Cheers,
Djole

o

Thanks. I'll try giving the plant a shake. So all tomatoes are self-pollinating? So then why did someone else tell me bees are needed?

Also, I happen to love yellow pear tomatoes. I'm sure there are other things other people choose to grow that I myself 'do not care for'. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

o

One thing you'll find is that many growers have different ideas, many which are not based on science, but on experience or ideology or wives tales of which there are many. Much of growing is not an exact science anyway, as there are often many factors involved.

You'll have to view information from multiple sources and come to your own conclusions. When I find conflicting information and I can't make a clear choice, I'll often conduct my own experiments to see what works in my situation with my garden plot. Reading these forums, you will find though, that certain posters post more correct information then others, and you'll learn which ones whose advice you can trust.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here