Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brokenbar

Sun Dried Tomatoes

brokenbar
15 years ago

I raise tomatoes for sun drying. I do about 1000 to 2000 lbs a year which I sell to the upscale restaurants in Cody Wyoming & Billings Montana. I wanted to pass on my favorites for you considering doing some drying. Any tomato can be used for drying but some varieties are better than others.

I grow 15 mainstay varieties that I have kept as I culled others that did not meet my criteria.

I also try at least 5 new varieties of paste types each year and am lucky if one makes it into my gherdÂh. I am looking for specific things:

Meaty with a low moisture content

Few seeds

A rich and tangy flavor

Size-Small tomatoes are just more work for me.

Not fussy-Take heat and cold and wind. No primadonnas!

Bloom well and set lots and lots of fruit

Indeterminate

Dry to a nice pliable consistency

These are my Top Five

Chinese Giant

Carol Chyko

Cuoro D Toro

Opalka

San Marzano Redorta

I wanted to add that were I to be stranded on a desert Island with only one tomato it would be Russo Sicilian Togeta. This is my allstar that sets fruit first, ripens the earliest, bears heavy crops in any weather and is producing right up until hard frost. It is not a true paste but rather a stuffing tomato. None-the-less, the flavor of these dried is as good as it gets. It is also wonderful for just eating or slicing and the fruit is extra large.

For those wanting to know my Secret Recipe for drying, here you go:

Wash, stem and slice each tomato into 1/4" thick slices. Place in a very large bowl or clean bucket and cover with cheap red wine. I use Merlot but if you prefer something else, knock yourself out. I have a friend that swears by cheap Chianti! Soak tomato slices 24 hours in the wine. Drain well. Lay tomatoes just touching on dehydrator shelves or on screen in your sun-drying apparatus. Sprinkle each slice with a mixture containing equal parts of dried basil-oregano-parsley and then sprinkle each slice with Kosher Salt. You may choose to forego the salt if you wish but tomatoes will take longer to dry. Dry tomatoes until they are firm and leatherlike with no moisture pockets, but NOT brittle. (If you get them too dry, soak them in lemon juice for a few minutes.) To store, place in vacuum bags or ziplock bags and freeze.

IMPORTANT!!! If you will be storing sun-dried tomatoes in Olive oil you !!!MUST!!! dip each slice in vinegar before adding to oil.

To pack in oil:

Dip each tomato into a small dish of white wine vinegar. Shake off theexcess vinegar and pack them in olive oil adding 1/4 cup red wine. For tomatoes in oil I am selling, I put the tomatoes into the oil two weeks ahead of time and store in the refrigerator. Make sure they are completely immersed in the oil. When the jar is full, cap it tightly. I use my vacuum sealer to seal the canning lids on. Store at *cool* room temperature for at least a month before using. They may be stored in the refrigerator, but the oil will solidify at

refrigerator temperatures (it quickly reliquifies at room temperature however). As tomatoes are removed from the jar, add more olive oil as necessary to keep the remaining tomatoes covered. I have stored oil-packed tomatoes in m root cellar for over a year. . I have tried a number of methods to pack the tomatoes in oil, but the vinegar treatment is the difference between a good dried tomato and a great one. It is also important from a food safety standpoint, as it acidifies the oil and discourages growth of bacteria and mold. Soaking in the wine also acidifies them.

****** WARNING ********

Do *NOT* add fresh garlic cloves or fresh herbs of any kind to oil-packed dried tomatoes, UNLESS you store them in the refrigerator and plan on using them withing 7 days. Garlic is a low-acid food which, when placed in oil, creates a low-acid anaerobic environment just

perfect growth medium for botulinum bacteria if the mixture is not refrigerated. Be safe and add your garlic to the dried tomatoes as part of the recipe for them *after* they come out of the oil.

Comments (45)

• shelbyguy
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Great post! Thanks for the info. I seem to do best with cherry and grape tomatoes, and am always looking for good ways to preserve the harvest.

• lionheart_gw (USDA Zone 5A, Eastern NY)
    15 years ago

Brokenbar, Thank you for the info! Now I'm really looking forward to next year.

• spiced_ham
    15 years ago

Thanks.

Two quick questions

1) Wouldn't determinants allow you to have enough fruit to do batches more easily? or do you have enough plants (and limited dehydrator space) that the slower production of indeterminates works for you?

2) Can they legally be called sundried if they are dried in a dehydrator?... In general, sunlight degrades colors and flavors so a dehydrator would be better but not sound as good.

• big_al_41
    15 years ago

Question: once the jar is opened, how long can it stay that way and does it need refrigeration at this point ?

Bigal

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Per USDA home food preservation guidelines, anything packaged in oil must be refrigerated even before opening. No shelf storage is allowed. But I know some allow exceptions to that rule.

But after opening, definitely store in the fridge.

Dave

• reaverg
    15 years ago

No Principe Borghese? I guess they are too small right?
    Thanks for the information about dehydrating them

• brokenbar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Indeterminates work best for me because I have nearly 150 plants. From about the middle of July to September I am humping my butt off slicing, soaking, sprinkling and drying. I have a huge outdoor sun drying outfit and I have a 20 drawer commercial stainless steel dehydrator. Almost none of the tomatoes you buy as "sun-Dried" are in fact "Sun Dried". If it was illegal to say so, you would see nice jars marked "Dehydrated Tomatoes" which you never do. Sun-Dried has become the accepted term. I have about half that really are sun-dried and half that arn't. No difference in finished product except the speed at which the dehydrator ones dry. My outdoor dryer allows me to do a huge batch at a time.

Principe Borghese I really LOVE these but they are so small it takes me forever to get a big bunch dehydrated.

I do grow about 3-7 plants of these and a couple of other Italian varieties (Federle,Basinga,Canestrino,De Barrao Black (RARE)) for which I charge more. The flavor is very much more piquant.

• mockapple
    15 years ago

Thanks for the great info, brokenbar. I've never thought of a wine-soak, and I'm interested to try that.

I also love Principe Borghese, and my batches are small enough that their size isn't a problem. On the Ed Hume seed packet, he says "Fruit can be dried by hanging vines in dry sunny areas." Sounds simple, haven't tried it. Of course around here by the time vines are full of ripe fruit, there's not much sun left.

MA

• jel7
    15 years ago

Brokenbay,

Thanks a million for this information!

I will give it a try next year.

Can anyone recommend a good dehydrater for personal use.

John

• brokenbar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wanted to add this as petaining to sun-dried tomatoes in oil:
    UC Davis on Dried Tomatoes in Oil http://cefresno.ucdavis.edu/files/11202.pdf

Also, a pint jar of sun-dried tomaotes in oil makes a GREAT gift. All my neighbors and friends and family get one at Christmas. If they return my "jar" they get an automatic upgrade to a quart jar!!!

• mockapple
    15 years ago

John,

If you want to start small, you can dry them in an oven. Use low heat (150-200, if your oven goes that low) for about 6-10 hrs, depending on the temp and the oven. After the first few hrs you'll want to check on them regularly to avoid over-drying.

For oven-drying I put the prepared tomatoes (for Principe, halved with cut-side up) on wire racks set in rimmed baking pans. I've also used large cheap splatter screens (those flat screens you put over a skillet to trap grease splatters) with plastic handles removed.

Of course if you're doing large or frequent batches, dehydrators make more sense. Sorry I don't have a recommendation at the moment.

MA

• andrea_san_diego
    15 years ago

Great Post!!! When I sat down at the computer last night I was wondering what I wanted to do with the 2 buckets of tomatoes that I had just picked. So I tried your method of sun drying with a wine soak on one bucket and one without the wine soak. At this moment one batch is drying in the oven. I can't wait to try them and your idea of giving them as gifts is terrific.

Is it OK to use fresh herbs instead of dried?

• veggieslover
    15 years ago

This is such a great post! Thanks brokenbar!

If I don't have a vacuum-sealer, how do I seal the jars for the oil-packed ones?

• brokenbar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Andrea, from one San Diegan to another (I was raised on a ranch near AZ/Mex border) You can only use fresh herbs if the jars oacked in oil are refrigerated. As regards putting fresh herbs on them while drying, I think it should be okay because by the end the herbs would be dried.

Veggies-Lover, Just tighten the lids by hand. I prefer the vacuum sealer because it pulls the oil into the tomatoes and it removes any air in the jar. I should add here also that my root cellar (down in the ground 15 feet) where those in oil are stored stays at a constant 38 degrees so it is very much like refrigerating them.
    SDT's (sounds like a communicable disease!) in pint jars with oil make GREAT gifts. I spray paint the canning lids with gold sparkle and tie a ribbon around them. I collect SDT recipes all year long and try to give everyone 5 new ones in a little booklet attached to the jar. You MUST put a sticker on the lid telling them to refrigerate. (There are some in my family I would like to "do away with" but poisoning them would be a little harsh...)

Also, for any of you that have the space, this is a great little business. As I use (I have another post on this forum about T posts) "T" posts (for you without livestock you can buy them at any fencing or feed store) that are 8' tall, so 7' after being pounded in. I am able to grow a whole lot of tomato plants in a realtively small space (T posts 3 feet apart) My sun-dried tomato business paid for a trip & cruise to Rome this year and bought my Xmas gifts for all. Most of the restaurants prefer just a bag of dried ones that they can use a little at a time and place in oil themselves. I buy the vacuum bags I use at Walmart (not name brand) so it's not prohibitively expensive to store them. The ones packed in oil carry a much heftier price as Olive Oil is not cheap (Costco...best price.)

If you are lookinfg for some great varieties next year, try
    Marianna's Heirloom Seeds http://www.mariseeds.com/
    & Tomatoe Bob http://www.tomatobob.com/ I have bought seeds from them for several years, always great germination and they have the best variety of paste type tomatoes anywhere. They even break down their catalog for Italian Culinary and paste.

Just as a side note...I prune my tomato plants once they reach the top of the T post. Any growth/tomatoes up there is going to be too late to harvest anyway. Pruning them just like a hedge puts the plants energy into the fruit already formed.

Allright, now I have coughed up all my "secret info!" I did forget that when I was just getting started, I sent out a flyer with all the varieties/prices/options etc. to every restaurant. I did this in the winter and folowed up with another mailing in May. I deliver once a week to COdy and once a week to Billings. I also have several restaurants in southern Wyoming that heard about me and I mail them their dried bags.

• brokenbar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Someone asked about dehydrators. I have the one below and then I have a 20 tray unit that I bought used and it does not have a sticker or anything on it to tell what brand it is. The one below drys better in my opinion (faster) They run about 300.00 but sometimes you can find them for less on Ebay. I have used the one below for 9 years and it still runs like a champ.
    Food Dehydrator Model SSFD
    A professional dehydrating machine for meat, fish, vegetables, and fruits. Made of stainless steel. Equipped with a rear-mounted fan, heating element (800 W), and a thermostatic control. Comes with five 16" x 14.5" chrome plated shelves. The thermostat is adjustable to a maximum temperature of 175º F.

Model: SSFD
    Power: 800W
    Amps: 8W
    IInner Dimensions: 15.25" x 16.5" x 13.5"
    Electrical: 110V/60/1
    Weight: 28.5 lbs.
    Dimensions (LWH) : 18.75" x 16.5" x 17.5"

• solanaceae
    15 years ago

Brokenbay,

For personal use try a Nesco, the reviews are typically high. I have FD-75PR and its a great small appliance but still could dry a hundred plum tomatoes at a shot.

• andrea_san_diego
    15 years ago

OK Folks here are the unscientific results of the test. I made one batch of sun-dried tomatoes using Brokenbar's method and one batch using a basic sun-drying technique.

Brokenbar's method: Core & slice maters, soak in merlot 24 hours. Sprinkle with basil, sea salt, oregano, parsely, and dry.

Basic sun-drying technique: Core and cut into chunks, sprinkle with sea salt and dry.

Oven dried both batches using my convection oven. The basic sun-drying method took 10 hours in the convection oven. Brokenbar's method of slicing into 1/4 inch slices only took 5 hours to dry and and were evenly cooked.

The basic sun-drying method didn't have much flavor and there were parts underdone and parts overdone.

Brokenbar's method with the wine soak was incredibly good and tasted & smelled like good pizza. The fact that the slices were all the same size helped a great deal in the cooking stage. All were cooked just right at the leathery stage.

So my unscientific test makes Brokenbar's method the best by a huge margin and I highly recommend it.

--Andrea

• windclimber
    15 years ago

We tried your method............only one thing.....
    they taste all vineagery.....

Did we not shake off enough of it? Have you had this happen before? She is placeing them back in the oven for a while after a sugar sprinkle........ we just tasted one.............pretty yummy so far.

Tom

• marykh
    15 years ago

I echo Andrea. A first small test batch of two pounds is just finishing up in the dehydrator. They cooked evenly, quickly and the taste is tremendous! I've already added more paste tomatoes to next year's garden plan.

Mary

• winchesterva
    15 years ago

I had a pile of roma's I didn't know what to do with until I read this post. I didn't follow completely, omitted the wine soak and oven dried. At first I also skipped the vinegar dip, the tomatoes were ok. I decided to go ahead and dip in vinegar and put in oil, WOW, what a difference, they are great. I am going to try the wine soak on my next bunch. Now I wish I had planted more! Thank you very much for this info, as I was unsure what to do with my Roma's because I don't find them very good to just each as is!

• triple_b
    15 years ago

an excuse to buy red wine....thank you!

• brokenbar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes...one can never have too much red wine!!! Tom, did you leave them in the vinegar? Because I just really quick dip them after they are dried and then add to the oil. I am so happy every likes this recipe. I am not kidding you, my friends and family nag me to death for extras. I thought I would throw in MY FAVORITE Sun-Dried Tomato Recipe! If I go to something where i have to bring a "dish" this is what I take. Buy some of those Kashi sun dried tomato crackers and there you go!
    Sun Dried Tomato & Olive Pate (tamponade)
    Makes 2 cups

1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
    1/2 cup minced black olive (I use Kalamara Olives but I have also used plain black in a pinch)
    8 ounces cream cheese, softened
    1/4 cup butter
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 clove of garlic
    1/4 teaspoon oregano
    1/4 teaspoon basil
    1/2 teaspoon thyme
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Combine sun-dried tomatoes, cream cheese, butter, Parmesan cheese, garlic, oregano, basil, thyme and salt in a food processor container. Process until mixed, scraping side of container occasionally. Add olives, process just until mixed. I use a small, decorative jello mold sprayed with *Pam CHill for at least 4 hours. Invert onto serving platter.

Chill, covered, for 4 hours or longer.

• brokenbar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I forgot to add on the recipe that this should be allowed to warm to room temperature before serving.

• windclimber
    15 years ago

Uh Oh....
    Another tasty sounding receipe........ I'll have to have her look at this one in the am.!

No, b,bar. just used white vinagar and just dipped em. When we do the next batch, it'll be a quick dip,n,shake.

• triple_b
    15 years ago

I can feel my waist thickening just reading that one. dang man!

• brokenbar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah, it's not exactly low cal. If anyone is interested, I have a dynamite recipe for bread machine sun-dried tomato bread. It's fabulous and I make rolls and just freeze them.

As I said, I look for recipes all year and I have made every one of them before I ad them to my collection. Sun-Dried Tomatoes just ad so much pizzazz to everything. My hubby likes them diced and put on bagels with cream cheese.

• mitanoff
    15 years ago

My Gawd, those recipes sound awesome. It sounds like you have adjusted next year's tomato varieties for some around here. . including me!
    Thanks for the post. I have also got a big basket of a various maters that I didn't know what to do with. Off to the LCBO for some wine!

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    15 years ago

Dang!....Sitting here at work drooling, stomach growling!

• brokenbar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wanted to say that you can dry any variety of tomato. The paste varieties are just more meaty and have fewer seeds.
    My friend always grows a bunch of Eva Purple Balls and dehydrates those and she swears the flavor excedes all others.

Parmigian Sun-Dried Tomato Bread (Bread Machine)
    1 1/4 cups water
    2 tablespoons oil that tomatoes are in
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    1 tablespoon granulated sugar
    2 tablespoons powdered milk
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 cups white bread flour
    6 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes
    1 teaspoon dried basil (1/2 tsp fresh)
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons active dry yeast
    2 Tblsp Parmigiana cheese

Add Water, Salt, Flour, Lemon Juice, Powdered Milk, Oil, yeast. Add remaining ingredients last 3 minutes of final knead cycle. If you are making rolls (which is what I usually do, I take the dough out at end of 2nd knead cycle. Roll into 2" balls and place in Pam sprayed muffin tins. Bake 30 minutes at 350. I just keep checking them.
    These freeze beautifully and it is so handy to pull a few out of a vacuum sealed bag or ziplock. This is a dense bread.

• sprouts_honor
    15 years ago

brokenbar, thanks so much! Used up all the Romas with your sun dried recipe and can't stop eating them. Just might consider drying the Brandywine and cherry varieties too. Thanks again.

Jennifer

• marykh
    15 years ago

I'm addicted. I've run two batches of paste tomatoes. And good tomatoes make a difference in the outcome.

I've got two plants (a cherokee purple and a Paul Robeson) that are loaded with fruit that are threatening to ripen all at the same time. (I'm not sure what the record is for slowest ripening once fruit is set, but these two plants are surely in the running) I'll try some of those next.

Mary

• brokenbar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Any variety will work. Non paste types have more seeds and more water however, I would imagine that there are several varieties that have GREAT flavor. Cherokee Chocolate and Brandywine may be two of them because I know folks wax poetic about their flavor. If any of you just do a Google search for "Sun dried tomato recipes" scads come up. Some use them in ways I would never have thought of. I am so happy everyone has enjoyed my recipe. I always forget to mention that Sun-dried tomatoes provide a very concentrated form of lycopene, and those that are in olive oil enable the lycopene to be easily absorbed.

• winnie850
    15 years ago

Hello Brokenbar,
    Thank you for this great information. This is the first year I grew paste tomatoes and I LOVE all the things you can do with them.
    You mentioned a tomato I have not hear of - Russo Sicilian Togeta. Could you let me know the source for these seeds? I would love to try them next year.
    Thanks a bunch!

• brokenbar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I emailed Gladis but Gary Ibsen has these seeds:
    http://store.tomatofest.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TF-0437

• eileen_gardener
    15 years ago

I don't know if this is a stupid question, but here goes anyway. I am going to have lots of green opalka tomatoes. Is it possible to sun dry green tomatoes? Last month's weather was so bad I don't know how many of my tomatoes will ripen.

• earl
    15 years ago

Question. Do you slice the tomatoes from top [stem end] to bottom or crosswise across the seed locules? And what about removing the seeds? Thanks! for the thread.

• brokenbar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Eileen, all you have to do is pick all your green ones, bring them in the house and they will all ripen/turn red. You can also pull the whole plant out of the ground and hang it in a garage or barn and they will all continue to ripen. To encourage ripening on the vine outside, discontinue watering. I don't know if you could dry green ones (can't see why not) but they sure would be bitter and I don't know what you would use them for. You could use fresh green ones for salsa verde or fried green tomatoes.

Earl, smaller types I slice length wise. Bigger types, stem end down to bottom. I grow only paste types so few seeds, which I remove most of. If you are using tom's with a lot of seeds, you should probably remove them as they get pretty bitter. And I know seeding tomatoes (other than in a squeezo or something) is a huge pain-in-the-butt!

Cutting slices that are the same thickness is important because then your slices will dry at a similar rate of speed and you don't have to keep picking through the trays on the dehydrator taking out the ones that dried the quickest. Also, I have a commercial dehydrator so mine has 1/2" metal squares. I spray the trays with pam to avoid sticking. Most home dehydrators have teflon trays but if not, the Pam works really well.

• naplesgardener
    15 years ago

brokenbar
    thanks for such an informative post just when I needed it. we in Florida are just starting our tomato season.

of course now I desire those chinese seeds you speak so highly of. I went to ibsen's page but they have a $15 miniumum order so that will remain an unfulfilled desire :-)

Denise

• rosieo
    15 years ago

Bumping this so people can order more paste tomatoes for drying :)

• kevokie
    15 years ago

Sounds like a very cool business brokenbar. Those recipes sound darn good as well. If I can rustle up some good tomatoes from my father-in-law I may just try drying some just to see what happens. Thanks for sharing.

• brokenbar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Denise, Marriana's Heirloom seeds has them and she has no minimum. I'd share but I got wiped out last time I posted.

• brokenbar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If anyone wants to email me I can give you a web address that has lots of tomato recipes. Garden Forum prefers I do not post the website in my message.

• jleiwig
    15 years ago

brokenbar,

I've tried emailing you, but I keep getting a spam message back about winning the UK lottery? Apparently, something is up with your email, you may have a virus.

• rosieo
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing all your secrets!

• andreaz6wv
    13 years ago

Loved reading this thread this morning!
    Thanks for all of the info :)

Andrea

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction