Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please remind me about soil amendments for container tomatoes

Posted by yumtomatoes 10b/FLA (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 11, 11 at 21:57

I know there has been a lot of discussion on this, but sifting through all the old information is tedious. If anyone would be so kind as to summarize what I am supposed to add to soil for container tomatoes, I would appreciate it.

I am going to use Miracle Gro Potting Mix (not moisture control) as my soil and add in Tomato Tone. How much Tomato Tone should I use? Should I add in more dolomite lime? Anything else needed?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please remind me about soil amendments for container tomatoes

With a good quality soil-less potting mix all the rest is optional. I don't use MG so I haven't read the label but most quality mixes already contain lime. If you want more then how much depends on the size of the container used. Too much is worst than none since it skews the pH making everying unavailable tot he plants.

MG does claim to contain fertilizers, how much I don't know but it should be on the label. But with containers fertilizer is never a one-time thing anyway. It is needed on a regular basis throughout the season. How much Tomato Tone also depends on the size of the container and the directions on the label provide a guide as to how much to add. Young seedlings can still be burned if too much is used up front.

I agree that reading though lots of info can be tedious - re-typing it is too ;) - but it is also one of the best ways to learn.

Dave

o
RE: Please remind me about soil amendments for container tomatoes

thanks, Dave. I don't mind reading through lots of info if all of it is accurate. What happens on forums like this is that anyone can post and then you get inaccurate information mixed in with the accurate information. So you have to read quite a bit and figure out which is the accurate information based on the poster's posting history, which takes additional searching/reading/time.

Learning is fun, but learning the wrong information and than applying it is not just a waste of time, it can be a waste of money, too. I only can grow 2 plants this year due to space limitations, so I need to get it right from the get go.

Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here