Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pjz2030

Magic Mountain Tomatoes

pjz2030
12 years ago

I've read a lot of great things about Magic Mountain tomatoes so I planted them in my Long Island garden this year. I must say they have picture perfect clusters of red ping pong ball sized tomatoes, are prolific producers, and (so far) have no diseases.

However their taste is nothing like the reviews I've read. Rather than being sweet they are very bland and remind me of the tasteless tomatoes I buy during the winter. Also, even though they are "ripe red" the fruit is very hard and never softens to any degree.

Has anyone else had this experience? I hope that I'm doing something wrong because they look great and I'd like them to taste as good as they look. All of the other varieties that I've planted are growing well and taste delicious.

Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.

Comments (4)

• carolyn137
    12 years ago

Mountain Magic F1 was bred by Dr. Randy Gardner, he's the one who bred the very successful Mountain series, and with his permission I distributed seed for MM F1 ( many sources, TGS gas had thge best price), Smarty F1 ( at Johnny's), and Plum Regal F1, from seeds he'd sent me.

I wouldn't be without it, except I am this year b;c of a quirk, and have grown it for maybe three years now, a great snacking tomato as I watch my fave TV tennis. LOL

The taste of the fruits of any variety are personal and perceptual and add to that how tomatoes are grown, what amendements are used and if so, which ones and how much, and what the weather is in any given season.

So all I can say is that I think it's a great largish red cherry tomato and it tastes fine for me, as well as having a lot of disease tolerance genes bred in.

Carolyn, who is a few hundred miles north of you in true upstate NY.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

I'd be inclined to guess that you are over-watering perhaps. I too find them to be an above average taste but watering them as they are close to ripening really dilutes the flavor.

Try picking a few just at color break and let them finish ripening indoors. I think you notice a substantial taste improvement.

Dave

• Pandorae
    12 years ago

I agree with Dave that the flavor greatly improves if you let them sit indooos until fully ripe. Try forgetting about them for a while on the dining room table:) I find they leave a nice aftertaste in the mouth. I like the tomato. It is productive and very tasty and so far disease free. I will grow it again next year for sure.

Pandorae

• woodcutter2008
    12 years ago

I had similar experience with another of the introductions -- Smarty F1 grape tomato. Initially, very large toms. and rather unremarkable flavor. However as the season has progressed, the fruit are now about 1/2 to 2/3 the original size, and much sweeter and more tomato-like. I might give it another try next year, but clearly, these are not close to the best grape tomatoes I've grown. I have few disease problems (Septoria in wet years), so less tolerant varieties are still fine for my garden. I would have to admit, though, like all the "Mountain" varieties I've tried, these yield like crazy. Likely a great choice for commercial production. I have seed for Mountain Magic, but ran out of room -- maybe next year!
    -wc2k8

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax