Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
growneat

Earl's Planting Hole

growneat
10 years ago

Is Earl still around and has he changed his planting hole instructions?

Comments (23)

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

No, Earl hasn't posted here or elsewhere for several years now. He was in bad health and I honestly don't know if he's passed on, or not.

Carolyn

• seysonn
    10 years ago

So, what about his "Planting Hole"?

• Bets
    10 years ago

Easy to find, just do a search on GW for Earl's Hole.

Betsy

Here is a link that might be useful: Earl's Hole Method of Planting

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Easy to find, just do a search on GW for Earl's Hole.
    Betsy,

I am not that curious and interested.
    But somebody who brings up a subject like this should provide some background information. Although I think I already know that "Planting Hole" concept.

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

seysonn, many have been here when Earl posted here as well at other places,so they knew what was meant by a recipe to put in a planting hole

And I always wondered about that since all I put in the hole is the plant and then water it in well,(smile)

Carolyn

• seysonn
    10 years ago

@ Carolyn,

I did not ask YOU or BETSY, what it is ..?But I asked the OP.

Maybe you , or sombody else knows EARL personally. But it is fair to say that the great majority of the members do not know him. I, for one, been a member on and off for 6 years here and don't remember a member by the name of EARL.

Again, I am NOT personally interested in that HOLE planting concept myself. As I said , I think I know what it is . And do not subscribe to it.

• growneat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Carolyn. And to you seysonn, if you think you know about it, aren't interested in it and don't subscribe to it...why bother to post? And I think the majority of the serious tomato growers here know of Earl Cadenhead. Thank you again Carolyn.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

@ growneat,

Obviously , while I am here check most of the new threads.

I think that a thread should have A brief introduction OR STATEMENT as WHAT IS IT ALL ABOUT.?

So your statement raised 3 questions:
    -- who is Earl ?
    -- Is he around ?
    -- what is his "hole Planting" concept ?

one short paragraph could introduce Mr. Earl and his Planting hole concept to you audience.

I asked a simple logical question:

"WHAT ABOUT EARL's PLANTING HOLE "?

Now instead of providing a simple answer, to a simple question, I am told that "i should've know Mr. Earl", because, presumably EVERYBODY KNOW MR. EARL.

• tomatovator21
    10 years ago

seysonn,

Earl is well known to most of us. Your ideas for how other people should compose a post here is really silly. Some one either knows the answer to the question or they don't. Obviously you don't. so why not keep your lack of knowledge to yourself.

This post was edited by Tomatovator1 on Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 8:02

• labradors_gw
    10 years ago

As a newbie to this list, it appears rather rude of someone to bring up a subject and then refuse to tell the rest of us what they are talking about - after they have been specifically asked.

Sounds cliquey to me.

Linda

• growneat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

To all who were offended by my post, I apologize. My question was simply to find out if Earl was dead or alive. If he was alive I wanted to ask him a question. Sorry if that upset anyone. If you will take a look at how often I post I don't think I am a clique member.I am here mostly looking for new ideas and to learn. Sorry to have stirred the pot.

Marv

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Marv, I didn't see your initial post as stirring the pot at all. As was said, many here know who Earl is, or was, b'c I do think he passed away,

Yes, Linda, there are many newbies such as yourself who are now posting at GW, that's obvious, but I still do not see Marv's initial post as being rude. And Linda and I do know each other from elsewhere,

At some message sites just putting your mouse over the initial post in a thread, does help b'c there's a precis of what is being asked, but GW doesn't have that kind of software.

This site exploded with all kinds of fighting and arguing and nastiness back in 2004/2005, which led to a mass exodus at that time and I don't want to see that happening again. Another message site opened in Jan of 2006 with many who took part in that exodus,which has been a success,

There are still some of us who post here and some of us are older and don't ask many questions, but do try to help folks answer questions when we can,

Carolyn, who wasn't going to post but wanted to try giving some past history of this GW Tomato Forum in the hopes of stopping something like that ever happening here again, and who has been here at GW for about 14 years now. If you look at her page you'll see 2002 but that's wrong since the computer here lost all of the start dates of everyone, so we have to back calculate. And who also wishes that some of you were here when Spike owned GW to see how he handled situations. it was out you go, as in banned, if you got out of line, ( smile) So let's just try to get along with each other; life is too short as it is.

• helenh
    10 years ago

Betsy gave you the link. I have better luck searching with Goggle than the GW search. Searching for things brought up on the forum is fun and interesting. No one was being rude.

Here is a link that might be useful: Earl's hole

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Don't worry about it growneat. You aren't the one who stirred the pot. There are lots of topic-specific posts here just as on any forum. That's perfectly normal.

labradors - no one refused anyone anything. Betsy provided the direct link to the topic. The issue is in the response she got for trying to be helpful.

This isn't a private chat room so if for some reason information is wanted only from the OP then they can be contacted directly.

Dave

• seysonn
    10 years ago

No body was/has been rude , being offended here. It was just a discussion. I don't understand why some of us feel that they are offended because someone asks a simple question. !

As I mentioned previously, I thought I have had heard about this "Planting Hole" thing but I did not know who its inventor was(my ignorance !). Thus I posed a question, hoping to open a discussion about its merits, so that we could all gain from it. The link that Besty provided is 6 years old. I had not joined GW then and I am sure great many of fellow members have joined this site after that.

This post was edited by seysonn on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 1:20

• dickiefickle
    10 years ago

Kinda reminds me when the wife yells " do we have any more ketchup "? I reply "did you look "?

• Bets
    10 years ago

@saysonn,

The reason that "The link that Besty provided is 6 years old" is because that is the last post where Earl gave gave his planting method, so it is straight from the horse's mouth, as it were. Why should the original poster or any respondent include information on the recipe when they are asking if there have been any changes? Anyone who wanted to know could search for an answer or could ask for more information.

Because you asked in the manner you did, I assumed that you were ignorant of Earl's Planting Hole method/recipe. Rather than repeat all of the information and possibly leave something out, or provide incorrect information, I gave a link to the last thread where Earl posted his "recipe". One reason I did so, rather than waiting for Growneat to respond is because not everyone is on GardenWeb frequently and sometimes people will be days before they respond to a question in a post.

If you found my trying to be helpful offensive, I do apologize.

And yes, I am the Besty of all the gray haired granmas! Ask any one of my grandkids or great grandkids and they will tell you so!

@dickiefickle

LOL! You had me cleaning coffee spots off my keyboard and monitor. The same thing happens at my house all the time!

Betsy

This post was edited by bets on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 9:11

• seysonn
    10 years ago

@ Betsy,

I just said that I was NOT offended, and I did not intend to offend anybody. Why can't we discuss things witouth getting exited.

I am here, mostly for live discussions. I don't like to be referred to books, articles. Because I know how do it on my own.
    On the Earl's front, I would have liked to open up his file again, just for the heck of it. I get a kick out of the witch craft type of things.

Happy Gardening, y'all !

This post was edited by seysonn on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 20:28

• riceke
    10 years ago

Earl also produced the tomato as Earl's Faux. Sent me seed about 4 years ago. You may see it listed in some seed catalogs

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Earl also produced the tomato as Earl's Faux. Sent me seed about 4 years ago. You may see it listed in some seed catalogs

&&&&

He didn't really produce it.

He had asked a woman to send him Red Brandywine seeds but when he grew it out he got large deep pink beefsteaks with PL foliage.

He loved those beefsteaks and contacted me to ask what he should do. I told him to contact the woman who had sent him the seeds and she said she must have sent Brandywine seeds instead.

So ,swearing me to serecy and himself as well, he called it Earl's Faux.

But I think most who have grown it consider it to be Brandywine.

I wanted to see what Tania said about it and she got the Red Brandywine right, Earl had even said that himself, and then stopped there. Link below.

Fact is, I never told this about Earl's Faux until now. But I'm pretty sure Earl has passed. last we knew he had major health problems so I do think it's OK for me to share what I just shared. And fact is, again, that most had already assumed it was Brandywine.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Earl's Faux

• tormato
    10 years ago

Carolyn,

I'm not in the "most " camp, because I don't believe Earl's Faux is Brandywine.

It's never tasted anything like Brandywine in my garden, nor has fruit ever grown as large as Brandywine, either.

My Earl's Faux seed was directly from Earl, and my Brandywine (Sudduth) seed was directly from you.

The one tomato that I believe Earl's Faux "may" be is Missouri Pink Love Apple. In a side by side trial I could not tell any difference between EF and MPLA.

Gary.

• Marshallkey
    10 years ago

What a soap opera ! Not fun !

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

OK Gary, me friend, you are summarily kicked out of the MOST group. LOL

But as I posted above, the woman who sent Earl the Red Brandywine seeds, when contacted by Earl said it was Brandywine that she sent, by mistake, or whatever.

It's hard to recreate exact words for something that happened so many years ago.

I know you have a vested interest in Missouri Pink Love Apple, I've not grow it, and if I had I wonder if I'd say it was the same as Earl's Faux? Or even my Brandywine ( Sudduth)

Carolyn, glad to hear that your Brandywine ( Sudduth) was from me, ( wink)