Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deanriowa

Tomatoes that grow around walnut trees

deanriowa
16 years ago

I heard that tomatoes do not like walnut trees. Are there any tomatoes that will grow around walnut trees?

Dean

Comments (7)

• yardenman
    16 years ago

If it is a black walnut tree, there is a toxicity concern. Black walnut trees produce a toxic material that can injure or kill tomatoes, potatoes, peppers and eggplant. I doubt that any varieties are safe from it.

If you can't get any safe distance from black walnuts (I would guess 50-100% further than the tree drip line), you might consider a raised bed (and I mean raised right off the ground) as in a really deep solid box above ground.

• digdirt2
    16 years ago

Agree - black walnut trees are toxic to most plants but especially to the tomato/potato family. Link below provides details on the reasons as well as a list of a few flower/fruit plants that are walnut tolerant.

"The toxic zone from a mature tree occurs on average in a 50 to 60 foot radius from the trunk, but can be up to 80 feet. The area affected extends outward each year as a tree enlarges. Young trees two to eight feet high can have a root diameter twice the height of the top of the tree, with susceptible plants dead within the root zone and dying at the margins."

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Walnut Toxicity

• kterlep
    16 years ago

I have two very large walnut trees in my back yard. I built an elaborate raised bed to put my tomatoes in.

Then I realized that nightshade grows gangbusters in my backyard...if nightshade lives, tomatoes should too.

*sigh*

• gumby_ct
    16 years ago

Is anything growing there right now?

I too, read that after I planted my garden. Brought a leaf, branch, & nut to the aggie. Turns out what I was calling a walnut tree is a hickory tree. When I was a kid, that's what we called them.

Just an fyi...
    Gumby_CT

• digdirt2
    16 years ago

From what I have read it is black walnuts that are the most problem. Although I have also read that some other varieties of walnut have some black grafted on them. But if not a black and if no grafting then perhaps there is less problem. *shrugs* ;)

Best to just avoid the area if possible or as the article linked above suggest - use raised beds.

Dave

• shelbyguy
    16 years ago

I thought this was an old wive's tale until i tried it myself. Eggplant and peppers dont seem to care, but whatever is in the soil prevented me from getting any real yield out of my in-the-ground tomato plants. they took off like crazy and then caught some sort of mystery wilt. The black walnut tree in the yard is about 65 years old. A wonderful tree otherwise, but I can't grow tmaters over there...

• deanriowa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have flowers, peppers and 2 tomatoes planted there, nothing seems to care but the tomatoes. Just as shelbyguy said they started out great then they caught a mystery wilt and I get almost no production.

Dean