Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aaron_wisconsin_

Why does Persimmon tomato taste blank?

Aaron_Wisconsin_
9 years ago

Visually, they are very attractive: bright yellow color. However, when tasted, they don't have any flavor other than meaty and creamy. Is this the normal flavor of this variety? I am also harvesting black krim. Also blank, except for the most recent one, very sweet and good. In general, first year of gardening kinda disappointed. I saw people complaining about this cool summer (we are still waiting for the second >90F day). Could this be the reason?

edited: add picture

This post was edited by Aaron_Wisconsin_ on Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 23:59

Comments (10)

• daniel_nyc
    9 years ago

Some of my tomatoes are soft / bland / watery because of uneven / over-watering. I use drip irrigation. Some cherries also split / crack.

• FrancoiseFromAix
    9 years ago

My yellow tomatoes (yellow ananas) are the most producing plants.

They are scattered around the garden, about 6 or 7 of them.

Unfortunately, they taste... nothing. Just pulp with no taste at all. It's a crime to waste good olive oil on this lousy yellow tomato.

I don't even bother harvesting them. They just rot on the ground for the great joy of the snails ;-)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

If a tomato does not taste sour or sweet, often it is labeled "bland" or sometimes the taste is called "Complex", meaning it is hard to figure it out and describe. In such cases adding a dash of salt, a few drops of vinegar can bring out the taste. Lets face it, most food would taste "bland" without salt,sugar, and spice.

Just My Opinion. YMMV

• donna_in_sask
    9 years ago

I grew Persimmon last year and it was a really beautiful looking tomato, no blemishes and a large size. I don't recall the flavour being all that great...lots of meat and hardly any seeds. Not very prolific; I think I got about five tomatoes out of the whole plant. I'm growing it again this year to give it another shot.

There are so many really good tasting tomatoes that I won't grow a mediocre one that needs seasoning to make it palatable.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

In a normal growing season I have always found it to be quite tasty. However this has been far from a normal season for much of the county - too cool and too wet.

And I agree that in most cases where one finds a blah or blank flavor it is often due to over-watering and/or excess rain. Yet another reason why picking at color break and letting the fruit ripen indoors out of the rain and away from any over-watering usually improves the flavor substantially.

Dave

• Aaron_Wisconsin_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks you all for your responses. We indeed got a lot rain earlier in the season but before any Persimmon tomatoes are hardly close to ripen. We will see whether the most recent one get improved without so much rain. In terms of productivity, I think this is actually very productive, although late. I can easily count over a dozen giant tomatoes ripening now, with more fruits setting as well. I will try adding some salts and see how the flavor goes. Here is a picture. Really beautiful tomato!

• hudson___wy
    9 years ago

We had similar results with the Mortgage Lifter Bicolor Strain. We grew the plant in the GH with a controlled environment (not too much water) and I think what I tasted is what most on this forum call a sweet tomato? The tomato was attractive - I thought - but the taste was very bland and lacked the tangy acidic tomato taste that we like and are used to. We were disappointed with the taste and are satisfied that the yellow tomato is not to our liking.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I am looking for a good yellow tomato for the next season.
    I like tangy , juicy tomato'ee taste. A little bit sweetness is fine too.
    Any suggestions?

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Lemon Boy and Dr. Wyche's Yellow. More tang, less sweet IMO. Limmony is real tangy.

Dave

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Thanks Dave. I will make a note of it. I like variety in colors.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm