Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gorgeous plant, horrible tomatoes

Posted by Prairie_thunder none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 22:56

Hello all
I've grown two awesome tomatoes in an Earth Box, my first time using it. Unfortunately, all of the tomatoes are ruined.
Our season started cold and rainy, but the last few weeks have been hot, 25 - 30 most days. I've made sure the reservoir has had water.
The plants grew amazingly well, but they were slow to flower, compared to the ones in my veggie garden. Worse, all the tomatoes look like the ones in the pics. Either they have these ulcer-looking sores, or they only developed half a tomato, with ulcer-looking black bottoms.
Ideas? They don't look like any of the problems in links others have posted. Thanks all

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gorgeous plant, horrible tomatoes

Looks like sun scald to me. I cover my tomatoes with a white cloth when it gets too hot.

o

Black bottoms on tomatoes is generally Blossem End Rot, a condition usually associated with uneven moisture and/or calcium uptake and distribution. Sometimes excessive heat. Did you use Dolomite lime when you set up your Earth Box? What type and how much fertilizer?

o

suncitylinda,in the pic the fruit is rotted on the side not the bottom leading me to believe sunscald

you only got 2 fruit ? sounds like it was too hot to bloom and set flowers/fruit

o

"Either they have these ulcer-looking sores, or they only developed half a tomato, with ulcer-looking black bottoms."

Dickie, I believe Suncitylinda was indeed addressing one of the OP's concerns.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here