Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
popdo_gw

The crazyest flower I've ever seen.

popdo
11 years ago

So today while I was watering my tomato plants and checking their fruits, I saw this insane blossom right at the top of my tomato plant. I don't exactly remember the variety, due to an accidental mixing of seedlings.

Any possible ideas on what this is and what will come from it?

PS: It isn't a beefsteak or slicer, as the only beefsteak I'm growing is potato leaved.

Comments (9)

• dickiefickle
    11 years ago

Maybe a bigger picture of this megaBloom may help

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

Many of us used to call it a fused blossom, many of us still do, but yes, it's now called a megabloom by many, and that's what you show.

They usually appear on the first set of blossoms on a plant, but not always, and then later blossoms are normal. Here and there one can find ugly fruit contests and often the fruits from those fused blossoms win b'c ugly there are. LOL

Carolyn

• popdo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Interesting. Is the tomato-swarm produced edible?

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

Yes, quite edible but usually ugly, as I said above, so you have to be prepared for that and just cut out the bumps and riffles and ridges and protuberances before you eat it.

Tie a piece of yarn on the stem back of that blossom so you can ID that fruit to be, let it set a fruit and see for yourself. ( smile)

A few folks I know take off those fused blossoms so that energy that the plant makes doesn't go into the developing fruit but you've just got to see one of those ugly fruits first. LOL

And a few folks I know love to see those fused blossoms b'c they know the fruit will be large and they either grow big ones for competitions or just plain like to see how big a fruit they can grow.

Carolyn

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Hay popdo
    That looks like a teenage mutant ninja tomato flower. I currently have one. They are very dangerous. Be very careful

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    10 years ago

dickiefickle, It you want a larger picture, just press the Ctrl button on your keyboard and scroll up!

Then to return to normal press Ctrl and zero!

Don't take it wrong, you and/or some folks may think I'm being a jerk! But a lot of folks don't realize that you have this function on your PC!

I'm old and almost blind so I use it often!

• CaraRose
    10 years ago

I've had several of them on my brandywine. I don't know if that variety is just more prone to them or if it's just my plant.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Its not your particular plant. I've many an the plant that produce big tomatoes. I am combing my plant for one but I have not found one yet.

• julia42
    10 years ago

I kind of like the funky shaped tomatoes that come from these type of blossoms. Maybe not so great for the market, but I think they often have their own beauty.

Dig something ugly, man!

I've heard you shouldn't save seed from them though since they're easier for the pollinators to get into (and therefore cross pollinate).