Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Park's Whopper Tomato Problem

Posted by nhgarden14 NH (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 20, 11 at 22:58

Hello! This is my first year of vegetable gardening and I have a question regarding the Park's Whopper Tomato variety. I bought some seedlings from a local nursery and planted them in the ground in late May. I also planted Big Boy and Lemon Boy varieties. I have already harvested three Lemon Boy tomatoes and they are great. However, my Park's Whopper are red on the bottom with black patches towards the top. They are also cracking like crazy. What I have I done wrong? I water them once every week deeply from the bottom. I did not mulch or prune them. Please help because I want red tomatoes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Park's Whopper Tomato Problem

What do the leaves and stems of the plant look like? Did you spray the plant with fungicides at all?

It is best to post a picture because it is hard to know without seeing the plant.

o

red on the bottom with black patches towards the top

Are the black patches like the dark, greenish-brown areas on the shoulders of some "black" tomato varieties? If so, your Park's Whopper may be a different variety. [This year my 17 purchased seedlings include at least one, possibly two mis-labelled varieties.]
http://heirloomtomatoplants.com/The Black Tomatoes.htm

Or do you mean black patches that might be mold or decay in the cracks?

Or something else?

Here are some photos of problems that affect tomato fruit:
http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/DiagnosticKeys/TomFrt/TomFrtKey.html
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/publications/tomatoproblemsolver/ripe/

o

Thank you for responding so quickly! Unfortunately I do not have a camera therefore I cannot take a picture of it. But based upon the links my problem is most likely early blight. The black patches on my fruit match the picture in the other link. I sprayed last week with a fungicide and I thought it was working but it didn't. My other tomato varieties remain good though. What should I use to prevent it from spreading farther? What do you recommend?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here