What is a good storage variety?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Long Keeping Tomatoes

Longkeeper,Keeping Tom, here is more at link

Here is a link that might be useful: tatstoms

o

And on that list that was linked to above you might want to consider Old Fashioned Garden Peach and Sandhill may still carry it so go to the Sandhill Preservation site and check.

Zhirav, which most know as Giraffe, is also one to try as well.

Two of the ones under the letter I, the inverno one and another one you can also try.

But honestly, the ones I've tried just are not worth growing b'c the taste is just not there.

The "I" ones, for instance, are ones grown in Italy and Spain, the whole plant is harvested and hung up for the colder seasons.

And speaking of seasons, I'm of the opinion that for everything there is a season, ahem, and thus have not been that impressed with those that I've grown for longer storage.

Carolyn

o

Longest storage variety would have to be the Ground Cherries, Tomatillo's etc.

I think they will keep if you leave the husk on them in a basket in cool (50-65degree)area for about 3+ months.

o

But tomatillos sure don't taste like tomatoes and are even in a different genus and species than are tomatoes. ( smile)

Carolyn

o

Best tasting, longest lasting ones come in a can with herbs and seasonings .

o

Mine come in a jar. Home canned.

Sandhill will be carrying Piennolo del Vesuvio for 2013 so add it to the list of storable tomatoes.

DarJones

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here