Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blossom end rot

Posted by margie_d 3 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 28, 12 at 23:07

I have a problem with blossom end rot , I know all the causes , what I need to know is am I doing more damage by watering them after the were dry for awhile, or not

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blossom end rot

Well, put it this way-- if you don't water, you'll continue to have BER and possibly dead plants.

o

am I doing more damage by watering them after the were dry for awhile, or not

Yes. Not by the watering but by letting them go dry in the first place.

I know all the causes

Inconsistent soil moisture levels is the main one.

Dave

o

I realize that was my problem this year. Yes, I can grow lots of tomatoes in small containers, BUT......large tomato plants in small containers, in a well draining mix, during a hot summer, causes the mix to dry out fast. And unless I'm there to keep the container moisture levels somewhat constant, they dry out almost every day. So my routine of soaking the dry containers once per day led to intermittent problems with BER.

o

Have you consider self watering containers? A couple of times a day watering?
Couple of years ago I had a 3 foot high tomato in a 12 gal SWC out in the yard. On hot days It took 2 gallons of water each day to keep it watered- yes, that much.
KennyP

o

thanks for your answers , I know I should have waterd sooner , we pay for our water so hesatated they keep promising rain that didn't come should I continue to water now since I stared

o

should I continue to water now since I stared

Yes. Since inconsistent moisture levels is the cause then keeping the soil moisture levels consistent is the prevention.

There are literally 100's of discussions here about BER that the search will pull up for you to review if interested.

You didn't mention containers in your first post. Are these in the ground or in containers? If so, what saize.

Dave

o

Actually I have one SWC made from 5 gallon buckets. SWC is really a misnomer because I had to fill that every day also. It would drink the 1.5 gal res. dry every day. I had BER on that too.

o

they are in the ground about 40 plants so it is a farly big patch, I am wtering morning and evening our temp here today was 35with a hot drying wind , maybe rain tonight but I diden't wait to find out

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here