Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My new favorite tomato is Cherokee Green

Posted by californian 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 11, 11 at 23:07

I grew 24 varieties of tomatoes this year, and over my lifetime maybe 60 different varieties, and in my opinion Cherokee Green is the best I ever tasted. It does have one flaw, if over ripe it liquifies inside, but even the gel tastes good if you squeeze it into your mouth.
I sold tomatoes for the first time this year, and my repeat customers always want some Cherokee Green.
Runners up for best tasting tomato are Cherokee Purple, Marianna's Peace, Sun Gold, Black Krim, and Carbon.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My new favorite tomato is Cherokee Green

If you get a chance give Golden Cherokee a try which is a sport of Cherokee Green. Ami

Here is a link that might be useful: Golden Cherokee

o

I second this. I grew CG for this first time this year and have gotten 2 so far (though there are now 10 ripening on my counter). I just loved it. I give a lot of tom's away to neighbors but I am hoarding this one for myself. I won't even let my son eat it since he often drowns his tomatoes in balsamic vinegar. You only get to eat this one in my house if you are going to enjoy it in all of its glory! Not only do they taste good but they are also gorgeous sliced and layered with a yellow tomato.

o

If you liked Cherokee Green then you can grow th eone Ami just mentioned but I highly suggest that you also grow Green Giant, which is a GWRipe that's indet, PL and with a clear epidermis, so it looks frosted.

I could list a while bunch of green when ripes b'c I love almost every one I've grown since the mid=80's but if looking for some green when ripe cherries I also suggest Green Doctors and its clear epidermis version called Green Doctors Frosted and frosted b'c it does look like a frosted grape.

Carolyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here