Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garf_gw

Seedling Markers

garf_gw
13 years ago

I need small markers to remind myself what variety of seedling is in a given batch. I'm starting a lot of different types, so it gets confusing real quick. I am trying using printer paper, writing on it with a common ballpoint pen, covering it on both sides with packing tape, then cutting it to size with a scissors.

Comments (10)

• spiced_ham
    13 years ago

Tape that to a toothpick and as long as you don't have cats or children you should be fine.

I suggest using pencil, pen will run if wet, pencil won't. if you have a lazer printer the ink will not run, but I think inkjet will.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    13 years ago

Buy a set of mini-blinds (about $3 at Lowes) and cut them into plant markers with a pointed end. One set of blinds will give you tons of markers. A lot of people use a paint pen to write on them because sharpies and pens do fade.

• mulio
    13 years ago

It is better at preventing mix ups or lost ID to mark the pot rather than use a tag.

If you are using black plastic or darker plastic pots/containers, write on them with a metallic sharpie pen.

If they are light colored then use a dark sharpie.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

You're still going to need ID after transplant so why label the pot?

• Bets
    13 years ago

"You're still going to need ID after transplant so why label the pot?"

Tags wander. If the pot wanders, the plants are with it, if they aren't, it's a moot point.

I like to mark my seed starting containers directly. (I prefer to use a single container to a variety, no six packs, etc.) Then when I transplant up, I do just one variety at a time and I make the markers for the number of plants I want to pot up before I start potting up. At that point I may or may not mark the individual growing container. At times I have, like when there were children about, or when I had a cat that was fascinated by pulling plant markers out of pots and dropping them on the floor. He never touched a plant, but I was sure glad the pots had stickers with the names on them.

Betsy

• bobb_2002
    13 years ago

Caryltoo has the right idea, to use miniblinds and cut them into markers. I installed some blinds a couple of years ago and saved the extra slats because they were much too long. I cut them into pieces about 5 inches long and cut one end to a point. Easy to do a few at one time with good scissors. I find that #2 pencil works great; markers (including permanent sharpies) always fade after a few weeks. I keep the markers with each tomato plant when it is set out and also use them for marking seed rows in the garden.

Bob B.

• californian
    13 years ago

I mark the pots with a marker. Next time I reuse the pot I cross out the old name and write the new on another side. I don't use markers in my garden, eventually they get knocked over or buried. I just make a map of my garden and write down what I planted in each row. I also use this map to make notes about what grew best, tasted best, was most disease resistant, was most prolific, what I would or wouldn't plant again, etc.

• trudi_d
    13 years ago

I have a roll of blank commercial plant tags--it has lasted me a few years. I write on them with an Industrial Sharpie, which never-ever fades. I also map the garden so I know what's planted where.

T

• mulio
    13 years ago

taz,

I always make a map before I plant. As I plant, I leave the empty pot by it's plant. I then go back through to pick up the pots and recheck the layout with the map making any corrections before I leave that row.

I have watched birds (especially crows) pull plant tags out in plots right after planting. They will also pull plants occasionally.

Larger wooden stakes for tags have their place in my plots. Mostly for orientation when the plants are small and later tied to the support stakes to mark the start of a variety in the row.

Caged plants get a nursery tag attached to the cage and are written on with a sharpie (again) on the side which gets the least direct sun. I have had sharpies sun fade.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have watched birds (especially crows) pull plant tags out in plots right after planting. They will also pull plants occasionally.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Do crows taste good?

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County