Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pupillacharites

Green Tomatoes: Top Ten Uses

PupillaCharites
9 years ago

Things to do with green unripe tomatoes. Please feel free to edit it to include your specialties. Green tomatoes are thought by scientists to bind or otherwise lower your cholesterol. Mulling this over, if you are into organic practices, you can try a green tomato fungicidal spray and see if it protects your ripening tomatoes from some blights.

1. Save seeds if they are at least 2/3 rds mature and make a volunteer surprise garden with them.

2. Batter dip and fry your green tomatoes.

3. Pickle your green tomatoes.

4. Make relish or chutneys with your green tomatoes

5. Replace them for Husk Tomatoes ("Tomatillos") in any recipe. Specifically, make green salsa ("salsa verde") with your green tomatoes.

6. Grill your green tomatoes on the Bar-be with meats.

7. Hollow your green tomatoes out and make stuffed tomatoes, like stuffed peppers or poppers.

8. Make jam with your green tomatoes.

9. Make curry with your green tomatoes.

1. Throw your green tomatoes at poor, innocent, loveable, defenseless, cute squirrels to psychologically condition them to stay clear of your tomatoes.

This post was edited by PupillaCharites on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 23:56

Comments (7)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

You already mentioned all the uses.
    Thank you

• daniel_nyc
    9 years ago

I'm sure I'll use the advice above. Tx PC.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

Green Tomato Mincemeat, great for pie.

• drmbear Cherry
    9 years ago

My favorite use is to make salsa. For most of the varieties I grow, ripe tomatoes are so juicy that when used to make salsa it becomes too watery (without a lot of extra effort to remove liquid). When I make virtually the same salsa recipe with end of season green tomatoes, my salsa turns out great - nice, chunky, scoopable salsa, with all the great tomato flavor, onions, herbs, peppers, and all.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Lots of discussions and recipes for using green tomatoes over on the Harvest Forum.

Dave

• Deeby
    9 years ago

I think I've heard of a mock apple pie too. Not the one with Ritz crackers, but with green tomatoes. Drmbear, your salsa sounds really good.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I like THROWING them very interesting. LOL