Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long will tomato sauce keep in the freezer?

Posted by gardningscomplicated southeast michigan - (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 15, 10 at 1:01

Does anyone know how long tomato sauce will keep in the freezer? I've been making sauce with my extra tomatoes, and I'm going to have a freezer full. I'm not much of a cook, so all I did was throw the tomatoes in a pot. I didn't remove the skins or seeds, just the bad parts I wouldn't normally eat. Then I added a little salt, and boiled them on the stove. I just tried some, and I don't think I can ever eat grocery store sauce again:) I didn't even have to use my best tomatoes. Most were the ones I thought were kinda bland. My first batch smelled a bit off, so I think I might have had the stove on too high. So I turned it down really low for the rest, and now it just smells like tomatoes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long will tomato sauce keep in the freezer?

Length of freezer life depends on the type of freezer container used. Heavy duty vacuum sealing has the longest life. In general, a year. The quality declines after 6 months.

Harvest forum is the food preservation forum here for more details/discussions.

Dave

o

The colder the freezer, the better. As an experiment...I've used frozen mater's well over a year in the freezer & find no difference in taste or consistency as the newer frozen ones.

My freezer is at zero degrees...and, I use heavy duty freezer bags.

o

I've just been using cheap freezer bags, so I'll have to look into getting something better. But I can use up the stuff in those first, so it shouldn't be a problem. I'll check out the harvest forum for some more ideas.

o

I use a Food Saver and store the tomatoes in the deep freeze - not the one in the fridge. They keep a very long time - up to two years in the deep freezer. They taste as good as the day I put them in.

In the fridge freezer, you can keep them about 6 months if you also wrap the bag in freezer paper to protect from that constant freeze/defrost cycle.

Now that your tomatoes are already frozen, you can move them into the better food saver type bags for long term storage. I usually freeze in quart size containers and then transfer to the food saver bags so that moisture isn't an issue with the machine (you'll understand once you read the manual).

Walmart has a good price on the Food Savers and the bags as well. Check the reviews at Amazon on different models before you buy.

o

gardenvt - I'll have to look into that food saver. This is my first time doing this, so I don't really know what to expect. The sauce is turning out really good, so I don't want any of it to go bad.

o

I make my sauce a little different each time, depending on what tomatoes, peppers & herbs I have available at the time. I freeze it in the Ziplock or Glad plastic containers and have kept some as long as 3 years. They all taste just like new when I open them. I have a rather large upright freezer that stays at zero degrees.
John A

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here