Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prachi_gw

Found some marked down tomato seeds... can I get your thoughts

Prachi
10 years ago

ok... I found some seeds in the clearance rack at my local nursery that looked interesting... any opinions on them, first off they are all livingston seed co (not sure if that matters):

-tigerella (is this OP? it doesn't say on the packet)

-Roma (is this OP? I was really thinking of purchasing Opalka seeds for paste/sauce but thought if this is really a determinate I could squeeze in one-two plant in one corner of my 4x4 raised beds?)

-Rutgers- I thought this was a good slicer but the packet says its a good sauce tomato too.. what do you guys think? (I was pretty excited to find these seeds marked down these have been on my wish list)

Comments (6)

• dickiefickle
    10 years ago

Wow , good choice, you saved a fortune .

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

All three are OP's and you can try the first one, Tigerella but it's one I've grown and didn't like it at all.

A very aggressive taste, splits with the AM dew, etc. It's one of three varieties that were bred in England at the Glasshouse Research Center, the other two are Craigella and Tangella, and those two I do like.

Nothing wrong with a generic Roma and Rutgers. both well known varieties.

Hope, that helps,

Carolyn

• Prachi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks Carolyn!!! (I was looking for your book in the library I may just go ahead and buy it :) )

That makes it easier actually b/c I don't have room for all.... maybe I'll try the tigerella outside my main garden just for fun.

dickiefickle .. yeah.. I was pretty excited... I guess people weren't growing too much from seed in my area (lots of rain)... I got them for a little over a dollar each.....

This post was edited by prachi on Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 9:25

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Page 226 in my book is Tangella with the other two named, but no way was I going to put Tigerella in the book. LOL

BTW, Tigerella quickly got dubbed Mr. Stripey, which has caused all sorts of problems since when Wayne Hilton, who used to own Totally Tomatoes, Shumways, etc., and sold them to Jung's, sent seeds of a typical gold/red bicolor to Sedds by Design in CA, and them not knowing that there already was a Mr. Stripey, named that bicolor Mr. Stripey. LOL

Two very different varieties in all ways and I've spent many hours helping folks distinguish between the two inlcuding two well known seed sites where they pictured the bicolored Mr. Stripey, but called it Tigerella, which is a small red with jagged gold stripes, and not a bicolor.

Ah well,

Carolyn

• jimster
    10 years ago

I consider Rutgers a good all-purpose tomato -- fine for fresh eating as well as for processing. Fruits will vary in size from small to fairly large. It is good tasting and quite blemish free.

Jim

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

If I only had a choice of the three, I would pick Rutgers. I don't grow romas, but I have heard they are very susceptible to blossom end rot, and I've never heard anything good about Tigerella. I grew Rutgers for the first time this year and it is a decent tasting tomato - mine weren't very large. Maybe next year I'll give it a better spot and its real potential can show.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES