Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seysonn

Naming Game

seysonn
9 years ago

From time to time some of us want to know the name of their tomatoes. Most often they are just called "Orphan" . LOL
But sometimes somebody make an educated guess.
Well , I don't want my tomatoes to be called orphans. Because they are my babies. hehe
Anyway, I find it amusing trying to identify a mystery tomato so that they are not called "orphan"
OK. Let us start a few of my own here:

At the middle is a nice yellow one. I already call it "Ananas Jaune" (Pineapple Yellow)
At the left front is a beautiful purple (dark red ?) one. It has no name yet.
I got the seeds for both of them from heirloom tomatoes.
The green one on the right center is also from a heirloom tomato. I bet everybody can tell what that is. So that is just a give away, to show that it is possible to ID a tomato.

Ow'wite !
If you have a tomato that you would want to ID it, put up a picture here. There is nothing to do at this point in tomato gardening to do , maybe talk about EB, LB, Seporia and what not. So why not have some fun other than talking about diseases.
Ok. Let the game begin!

This post was edited by seysonn on Fri, Sep 12, 14 at 16:57

Comments (12)

• PupillaCharites
    9 years ago

I'd call them all delicious, but just talking about winding down and being overtomatoed, haha I'm never feeling that way ;-)

Good thing is ... the season is barely starting for everyone who lives on the coast in a band from Brownsville, TX ending right here at the north end of Atlantic Florida ... 2,207 miles, and many millions of challenged gardeners!

That "Ananas Jaune" of yours really looks sharp and vivid. I hope I get one so I can call it a Lemon Pineapple. Nothing ripe to post now but soon, as the tomatoes soak up more sunshine just for their luckyand waiting hungry tomato-heads. But here ... just fell into my hot little hands today!

How long did your "Ananas jaune" take from seed to harvest? Don't think I can slip this one in, but my fall is basically your summer, just much shorter. These seem to be much more orange so unless some weather is blame, might not be the same variety.

PC

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How long did your "Ananas jaune" take from seed to harvest?

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

PC, How long ? very long time very very long time.
    -- started seed early March (~March 10)
    -- Planted out about April 20
    -- Picked first ripe fruit (Prolly) August 20.

SO from seed to eat ~= 160 days
    from plant out to Fist ripe fruit 120 days. LAAATE

For a while I almost gave up on it. But suddenly it came with a big bang. Now has a lot of fruits, Mostly 10 -15 oz.

• PupillaCharites
    9 years ago

Thanks seysonn. That's sort of what I was thinking, so unfortunately I'll have to wait till Spring and be sure to get them out in early March, and carry them through July - I've learned our micro-climate season is April - June for transplants, sandwiched between a giant river and on the coast, for our latest season varieties, so it will be a lot of work. On the positive side in early June the sun will accelerate everything, since the season officially finishes when the heat burns out everything tomato that's in the ground beginning by the end of June. I'm assuming the seeds are very similar to your Ananas Jaune. Was your AJ very sweet or / and meaty inside?

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK. No guess ?
    I give you a hint. The green one is called GREEN ZEBRA.
    HEHE

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

There's what 14 or 15 tomatoes in that photo? I can't believe anyone would actually grow out 14-15 totally unidentified plants! And you say the little green one is Green Zebra? Doesn't look like any GZ I've grown - wrong shape and color.

Dave

• PupillaCharites
    9 years ago

"Ow'wite !
    If you have a tomato that you would want to ID it, put up a picture here."

Here's a mysterious pair:

PC

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    9 years ago

No name for the purple/dark red one?

Well, since a tomato fruit is really just a giant swollen ovary, Im going to say "IT'S A GIRL!." The most popular girl name last year was Sophia. You could just follow the trend and name her that. Looking for something less common perhaps? Well, the 1000th most popular name was "Collins" (I think we can guess why...) We could just split the difference and name her Emersyn, but I'm not a big fan of that one either, plus it has weird spelling which I never approve of, it screams that the parents crave attention.

Since your precious bundle is an heirloom, we could give her a more "old fashioned" name? We could go with Ethel, Maude, or Gertrude.

But really, the best thing you can give her though is not a name, but your unconditional love. And remember, never shake a baby.

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@ Dave
    You name just, 1, 2, or 3.
    I was mostly talking about : Yellow, Purple and the Green one.
    The Green one is definitely GREEN ZEBRA, just smaller size.
    See the picture below from internet. My picture is not very high resolution.

@ PC
    That is also a girl named:-) . Pink Brandywine (just a guess). If the plant has Potato leaves ?

@ Zack
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will name her "VICTORIA". hehe

This post was edited by seysonn on Fri, Sep 19, 14 at 4:16

• PupillaCharites
    9 years ago

She's definitely not a Brandywine, no potato leaves except the bottom leaves seemed to start that way.

Zack/seysonn, LOL Great idea based on Zack's and Dave's posts ... with all those mystery tomatoes there seysonn can do a hurricane tomato naming system for his season. Start at the top of the alphabet as the season progresses, go right down the line, Antoinette, Bing, Chloe, Dmitri, Ellada, Fermín, Guiditta, Hank, etc... If you want them to be all girls, no problem, until the 1970's so were the hurricanes ... If there are more than 26 varieties, Alpha, Beta, etc...

I disagree with pigeonholing heirlooms as names that are currently out of vogue. Herrlooms, the ones that survive anyway, have proven they are not susceptible to fads, and are much more attractive in general than their factory produced seed counterparts. Maybe those types shouldn't be given names at all, but just numbers, until consumers agree that they taste good enough to deserve a name ;-)
    PC

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@ PC,
    I said in my opening post :

At the middle is a nice yellow one. I already call it "Ananas Jaune" (Pineapple Yellow)
    At the left front is a beautiful purple (dark red ?) one. It has no name yet.
    I got the seeds for both of them from heirloom tomatoes.
    The green one on the right center is also from a heirloom tomato. I bet everybody can tell what that is. So that is just a give away, to show that it is possible to ID a tomato.

The tomatoes that I have ARE GENUINE FINE heirlooms already. (1) Green Zebra ; (2) Pineapple (3) ? Cherokee Purple ? (not 100% sure)

The rest of the maters in the picture are just there. I already know what they are. But You are welcome to try IDing them.

But back to yours, PC. You don't even show the face of your girli. How should we id it ? LOL

• PupillaCharites
    9 years ago

seysonn,

Not sure where I was disagreeing with anything to get shouted at that they are fine heirlooms already, but if you want to why not let's rumble:

"The tomatoes that I have ARE GENUINE FINE heirlooms already. (1) Green Zebra "

The first one is a fake heirloom (a.k.a. created heirloom), which was created by Tom Wagner on the West Coast, , less than 35 years ago who says anthing he names is an heirloom.

"But back to yours, PC. You don't even show the face of your girli. How should we id it ?"

Don't knock yourself out, here they are by popular demand, my artistical tomato(es)! Provisionally name, the "What Knockers" variety with deference to Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein movie:

I had to wash all the mud off that side and take off a blemish or two to make good tomato art.

PC, well, usually PC

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    9 years ago

Seysonn: "You don't even show the face of your girli. How should we id it ?"

Lets be honest with ourselves, here. "Gentlemen" such as myself weren't looking at her face anyways, especially not in her most recent photo ;).

This post was edited by ZachS on Sat, Sep 20, 14 at 19:27