Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dennismc_gw

sungold/sunsugar tomatoes in Australia

dennismc
11 years ago

Hi

I haven't posted in a long time but do appreciate all of the help offered here.

I want to grow either sungold or sunsugar cherry tomatoes here in Sydney, Oz but despite extensive searching online cannot find anyone who sells the seeds of either in Oz. Importing from overseas is not an option as they would not get through Australian import restrictions.

Is there anyone out there who can tell me where I can purchase them. Unfortunately I do not have anything to trade.

Comments (18)

• kathy_nj
    11 years ago

I grew Burpee Sun Gold for the first time this year and it will certainly be my favorite for many years to come. I would be happy to mail you as many as 12 seeds if you would like them. Please provide your name and address and I will send them and do not expect anything in exchange.

• thegreatcob
    11 years ago

kathy_nj ?I think you missed the part about import restrictions in denismc post.

• dennismc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your kind offer Kathy_nj. Unfortunately they would never get through our Customs.

Dennis Mc

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    11 years ago

If you were not asking for a private envelope to be mailed, I'm not sure of the reason for your post.

Here in Arizona, morning glory seeds are considered invasive because if they are allowed to grow wild in the fields, the vines will bind up the cotton harvesting equipment. On-line companies will not ship to AZ. I'm not worried about those harvesting issues in my yard and micro-climate so when I order on line I send them to my sister in California, she then forwards. That's what I thought you were asking.

• monet_g
    11 years ago

I've shipped seeds (not tomato) to Australia and they were received without any problems. Plants - that's a whole other story.

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

Monet, I think you were lucky since the customs in Australia banned ALL import of tomato seeds several years ago. Before that I had no problem sending seeds there at all.

I know of many folks AND commercial companies who have had their seeds confiscated. it's the same way in the Netherlands but for different reasons.

Some folks have taped small packets of seeds inside a stiff greeting card and most of those have made it through. But for heavens sake I hate to encourage illegal behavior, so take that for what it is. ( smile)

Both Austrailia and the Netherlands require phytosanitary Certificates when commercial amounts of seeds are sent into those countries but those certificrtes are FAR too costly for the individual sender to pay for.

Carolyn

• monet_g
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info, Carolyn.

• sharonrossy
    11 years ago

Hi Dennis, have you tried: http://www.diggers.com.au/
    They have some interesting cherry varieties, not what you're looking for, but close. I can't believe T & M doesn't ship to Australia!
    Sharon

• deetherpee
    11 years ago

hey dennismic
    I have sungold & sun sugar here on the mid north coast of nsw
    Still want some?

• dennismc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dear Deetherpee

Please accept my apology for not replying earlier. Unfortunately we have been out of the country visiting Norfolk Island for a few days.

Thank you for your kind offer. I certainly would still like to get some of the seeds for both. Please let me know the details of how to get them and what costs are involved. If you wish you can contact me through my email address. (dennismc@bigpond.net.au)

• rubyeaton
    11 years ago

Hello deetherpee !

I am looking for Sungold and sun gugar tomato seeds for long time, I really have no idea how to buy it from overseas, is it possible you give me some? I live in Central Coast, my email is yhy3777@hotmail.com

Thanks very much!

Ruby

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb

• Need2SeeGreen 10 (SoCal)
    11 years ago

The border people took my seeds that I bought in Italy, when I came back to the US. I wish we could all get on the same page somehow. They were commercially packed and I would have thought that meant they were safe. Is it that they could have some kind of disease?

• sharonrossy
    11 years ago

Need2SeeGreen - did you read Carolyn's answer on this thread? I think they have very strict rules - why I am not sure, maybe it has to do with introducing strains that might carry diseases??? Carolyn unfortunately is without a computer or I am sure she would give you all the details. I have tried to order from Seeds from Italy and they ship to the US but not to Canada and the US website also won't ship to Canada. So go figure! It's nuts!
    Sharon

• roper2008
    11 years ago

Send the seeds in a Christmas Card, or any kind of card. You can
    add a little bit of paper towel for cushioning....It more than likely
    will make it through.

• Jackson Topsfield
    4 years ago

7 years later

• Mary Playford
    9 months ago

Check Mr Fothergills seeds. I just bought some seeds tonight.

• Cindy 7 VA
    9 months ago

Again, this thread is 11 years old. Look else ware for newer information.

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor