Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How tall do your tomato plants grow??

Posted by dancinglemons 7+ (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 25, 09 at 1:41

Hello all,

Today my SWC Dr. Wyche tomato plants fell over!! Yep, the EarthBox with 2 Dr. Wyche plants fell over during a storm. DH went out and put the plants back up and secured them to their support poles which are 6 feet tall. It was then that we noticed that the plants which had grown completely over the top of the 6ft support had also grown back down to the ground and then some!! This makes these Dr. Wyche 12 feet tall!! I had not noticed this rampant growth because that part of the plant is run over with sweet potato vines and I don't routinely walk through the sweet potato vines.

How tall do your tomato plants grow??

DL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How tall do your tomato plants grow??

Way up all the way as far as they can go

o

I have some that are around 5' tall while others are closer to 10'. Luckily frost is right around the corner or I would need to grow a beanstalk to get to the fruit at the top. My tomatoes are all in full sun. Plants will get taller and lankier though if they get too much shade. Maybe the vigorous sweet potato vines were shading the plant a little too much requiring it to grow taller to get more light.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kim's Garden

o

The tallest for me has been two SS100 growing to 18ft, pruned to 2 stems. But on average I would say 10ft.

o

Here in Maine with excellent soil and 8-9 hours of sun, my plants grow to between 3 and 5 feet tall.

o

Here is western PA I have plants ranging from 6' to 10' tall. The tallest are Marianna's Peace, Cuostralee, Yellow Brandywine and Goose Creek. Ramapo, Crnkovic Yugoslavian and Polish are a few feet shorter. They are still setting and growing fruit. If I get 3 more weeks without frost I should get a pretty good fall harvest.

o

My Celebrity is about 5' tall but probably 10' wide wallowing all over, strangling a rose bush. A tomato cage is a joke with a bush like this. Having a rose bush inside it makes it tricky to pick tomatoes.

o

Mine in upstate NY generally go up a 6ft cage, back down again... and then a little.. so 12 feet or so?

o

My Roma got to about 5' or 1' above the top of it's cage then it collapsed and worked it's way back down. Now it is working it's way out. I'm sure if I had a taller cage it would have grown with it. We have gotten a couple hunderd maters out of it and it keeps on giving. It now has a huge amount of new buds on it since I fertilized it last week.

Chris

o

Not this year, though:

o

in ground, 8-15+, breed specific'
in Earth 'Tainer, 6'-9'

Note: That's not a knock on earth 'tainers.
They do have their advantages.

o

Thanks folks for your pictures and comments. I just pruned my Dr. Wyche plants today so that the green tomatoes will have a chance to get ripe before heavy frost kills the plant. Most of the large green tomatoes look like they will get to 12-16 ounces. The smaller green tomatoes will go into relish tomorrow.

DL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here