Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mammawolf_gw

Help i have no idea what im doing!

MammaWolf
9 years ago

ok so I am very impulsive... I have tried my hand at gardening before but it never really works.... I grew up on a farm but currently live in the city and honestly... dont remember much from 15 years ago... I went and got a tomato plant.... its a sweet 100 cherry tomato plant and i have it currently in a 5 gallon bucket with potting soil, I need to get it secured to keep it from falling over i know that but right now its doing well propped up against a stick..... lol I am pretty sure its way to late in the season for this poor plant to do much, hopefully i can at the very least keep it alive.... i need all the tips you can think of! and anyone know if it will do anything besides die with how much warmer weather we have left? ( i am right outside of dallas texas )

Comments (13)

• PupillaCharites
    9 years ago

Dallas has its first frost on Thanksgiving, on average, which will likely start killing it off. But if you are far out in the 'burbs like Plano, Garland or Mesquite it will be about 10 days sooner. Depends on when you transplanted it as to whether you might get any production.

Both Sweet 100 and the more commonly found Super Sweet 100 at HD, WM and Lowes, are published to require 70 days after transplant to begin to fruit. If it was of transplant size and transplanted before September 18, you probably will supposedly get something. The problem with being late is the sunlight is weaker, so the plants don't grow as quickly as they would in summer, so you need to work on that.

A picture will help here and your plant will need all the direct sunlight it can get, so lug that pot around to follow the Sun if you are able and if there is no open location that is always receiving direct sunlight. You didn't mention the fertilizing strategy you are using.

Good Luck, PC

• MammaWolf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is my plant! Like I said. I don't know much of anything gardening wise but I'm trying to learn. Its only been in the bucket for a little bit ( about..... 4 days) it seems to be doing good. Yes that's a stick its propped up against. It seems to like the stick as well because when I moved it just a few min ago I removed the stick and it didn't fall over or anything this time. It seems to have sturdied up some. I am keeping the stick in it though till I get to the store Thursday to get proper stuff to secure it.
    And yes I actually am in mesquite. Lol.

• PupillaCharites
    9 years ago

It's gonna be a close race MammaWolf. You didn't say about fertilization but I see Miracle-Gro regular plant food in the back, so I can guess ;-)

Your plant looks great. In a short time you should start seeing some buds if all goes right. I'm going to say what I would do if I were growing my plant in that bucket. Looks like the sun situation is like most of mid and western Texas, no problem, not like here in Florida where there are no hills but you have to walk a few miles to the river to see the Sun rise or set because there are trees blocking light everywhere.

I would drill a 1/4" hole about 3 1/2 inches up from the bottom and use the Miracle Gro recommendation for maturing plants. Each time I watered it I would want some water to come out of the hole, about 1/3 of what I put in, except when I fertilized, not more and not much less. I would also sprinkle a little dolomitic lime in the water, about half the powder amount of a Miracle Gro dose, not when fertilizing, but once a month.

Another thing, if you are pulling the stick out and sticking it back in, I'd be careful about ever doing that in the bucket since all the plants roots are constrained there and get damaged. The damage is a plant stress and setback that will roll back your calendar and make you miss harvest. Not saying you are doing that but just keep in mind 5 gallons bucket is very small for a tomato root system and it is all cramped root growing in there so we have to be sensitive about that.

Nice plant best luck. I have two Super Sweet 100's growing the race too. They are a favorite variety. For leafminers ;-(

PC

• MammaWolf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK. Sorry to been afk for a while. Was dealing with storms and such here. Update! The only thing I've been able to do for my little baby here has been to water it and keep it in the sun. If I see any bugs I usually pick them off. I have little flowers waiting to bloom! And my leaves look weird???? :/ here's some pics. Any info y'all can help me with from looking at these?

• MammaWolf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Next pic

• MammaWolf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These are my leaves I'm concerned about :( are they having issues? Do they need something? Or does this just happen sometimes? Will it affect anything?

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Do you mean those blotches ? I wouldn't worry about it.
    Probably just environmental ( sun burn, fertilizer burn) . To be worry free, just get your scissors and cut those leaves (single leaves I meant not the branch).

Do you have any fruit set, yet ?
    For cherries it should take about 35-40 days from flower to ripe fruit.

• PupillaCharites
    9 years ago

The plant looks compact but otherwise has nice color. Those dry, dead leaf tissue parts look to me like the plant was damaged at a tender stage and have scared over nicely IMO.

Here's my Super Sweet 100 cherry, which I'm having fun counting the extra miniature buds that appear each day on the truss...it began with about 7 when the first opened Oct 5, and today had about 14 total unopened and opened, and the first flowers' petals have dropped (today), I hope not because of the two unseasonably cold nights it had just before this pic was taken and it opened:

Good luck!

• MammaWolf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mine is a super sweet 100 also :). Thank you for the replies as well! We had a couple cooler nights here as well. I thought it wasn't gonna do anything because of it but the flowers started showing up :). I'm in Texas just a few miles southeast of Dallas.

• PupillaCharites
    9 years ago

Cool! (In more ways than one) You wanted tips .... There is this product that you should be able to find in Lowes and Home Depot places called Blossom Set spray (It contains a natural product type called "cytokinins").

It should help us get through some of the cooler nights stressing these plants and set fruit in these sorts of cooler conditions that are still within reason. Should be only about $5 and I think we both ought to think about buying it. Some people complain the taste, etc. isn't the same, but I believe that's their imagination. If anything it will be better (less seeds - IMO a benefit for the hybrids like SS 100), and again, totally natural. I may be wrong, but coconut water may contain it too (so maybe that could also be sprayed).

PC

• MammaWolf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmmmm I'll look that up. Thanks a lot for the info! I'll post pics when anything changes!

• PupillaCharites
    9 years ago

Yeah, take a look at the blossom set spray and be prepared if you decide it's worth it. Normally it is unnecessary, but we are basically asking for production in colder than seasonal weather for our Super Sweet 100s when they otherwise would be hitting their stride, and that's exactly when the blossome spray can be most helpful ... if there are cold snaps breaking up some otherwise reasonable cooler growing conditions IMO. I'll do my part to keep the enthusiasm and show you my cooler Zone 9 progress. Here's a week after my first pic above. Humid, 49 F two night cold snap did not prevent mine from normally setting fruit without help. Anything below that and I'll get the spray, but the forecast is behaved so far in coastal North FL. Now we're back to lows around 70 F at night:

PC

• PupillaCharites
    9 years ago

MammaWolf, here we go again, looks like I'm going to have 18 total blossoms on this one. It's the same truss, one and two weeks after my earlier pics. So far, 9 tomatoes, 4 blossoms, and 5 buds. Ours both began flowering on the same day and I'm at the same latitude as you, too ;-)
    PC