Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
springtogarden

Rosso Sicilian Tomato

springtogarden
9 years ago

Anyone grow the Rosso Sicilian Tomato? I am not impressed with it but would love to hear others opinions. Its leaves curled up. I swear I always have one tomato variety, and only one, that does that. The tomatoes are way too soft and not ripening fully. I am not sure if they just didn't do well because we had a pretty hot summer or something else. Had a bug problem but got control of that really fast and my other tomatoes are in good shape. I know it is best for sauce but it just is weak even for sauces.

Comments (10)

• fusion_power
    9 years ago

It is susceptible to foliage diseases in humid climates. It has a physiological trait for uneven fruit ripening. Almost all the fruit on my plants were green on one side and red on the other. They will eventually ripen entirely, but often the side that ripened first will begin to decay before the green side fully ripens.

This is a variety that does well in a dry climate with very high sun exposure.

I had far better results with Costoluto Genovese which has a very similar fluted tomato shape, but produces exceptionally heavy crops of fruit that ripen evenly.

• springtogarden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi fusion_power, Thanks so much! I will replace it with the Costoluto Genovese. I like that it ripens evenly unlike the Rosso. My weather was and is odd. I had a cold June and extremely hot July and August. I think the cold June is what set it up to fail. I put this on my "do not grow here" list lol. Thanks again!

• sheltieche
    9 years ago

I just got seeds for it as been highly recommended by brokenbar for drying purposes... oh well, does not sound like variety that will do well in Chicago either

• springtogarden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lindalana, Maybe you will have better luck? I had terrible weather (one cold month and then 2 months of VERY hot), couple of windstorms and an invasion of stink bugs. I was able to save my other tomatoes and they taste great! But I think the Rosso is very delicate. You must do an update next year on how it did!

• sheltieche
    9 years ago

Gardengal, will do! Am wondering though as brokenbar specifically states she does not take primadonnas in her garden and this is one of her favs... go figure...

• springtogarden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lindalana, That it is quite the contradiction lol! Maybe she has the magic touch?!

• minis006
    6 years ago

I'm growing this variety this year and already an not horribly impressed. My plant is also showing signs of leaves curling. My Costoluto Genovese plants always do great. Has anyone had any further success or experience with the Rossos??

• minis006
    6 years ago

Yeah, my plant is about 30 days from transfer. I'll mostly be making sauce from this one anyway, but it sounds like it's not necessarily anyone's favorite. Thanks for the replay nbm!

• hudy63
    2 years ago

I'm trying this one for the first time! Plants look fabulous except for the curled leaves. I have ruled out over/under-watering, virus, and bugs. The plants look healthy except for curl. I'm hopeful!