Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hudson___wy

Pruning Suckers on Indeterminate Tomato Plants

hudson___wy
9 years ago

There have been a lot of threads on this forum about pruning suckers. Most of the questions have come early in the spring or mid summer as the plant is growing and the plants are too small to show you how we prune our indeterminate tomato plants in our GH - for those of you that may be interested - so I took some "end of season" photos of pruning on a mature plant.

For us - there is no debate on wether to prune or not to prune indeterminate tomato plants in a GH. We have grown these plants from pruning as the photos show - to not pruning at all - to somewhere in-between. We have no doubt that pruning the suckers similar to the photos has produced the best results for us!

I decided to strip a tomato plant bare-naked from foliage and tomatoes to illustrate what pruning suckers looks like on a mature tomato plant. The main branches are tied to the cattle panel so the tomato plant lays vertically flat to the panel. I used the "pano" feature on my camera phone to take the photos so they are distorted just a bit - but hope you see the concept. Keep in mind that each plant is not pruned perfect and is adjacent to another plant so modifications are sometimes needed.

{{gwi:290216}}

Her is a close-up photo of the upper part of a quarter of the total plant - the other 3/4s look similar:

{{gwi:290217}}

Pruning this method has produced results like this year after year for us!!

Comments (4)