Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docux

Where to buy Sarnowsky Polish Plum tom. seeds?????

docux
14 years ago

Where can I get Sarnowsky Polish Plum tom. seeda????

Comments (8)

• carolyn137
    14 years ago

The name is spelled Sarnowski Polish Plum, a variety I introduced and seeds are sold by Sandhill Preservation to whom I sent seeds; I didn't check to see if any other place was offering seed. Please note at their website when they accept orders and start sending out seeds. It's OK to send in your requests but they don't start filling those requests until after the New Year as explained at their website.

Sarnowski Polish Plum, as named by Mike Sarnowski and myself, was a variety their family brought from the Sarnow River valley area in Poland to the US in the 1890's.

It's indeterminate, RL, with a heavy yield of plump longish red fruits with singles, doubles and even some triples. Very meaty with few seeds and very good taste for a paste tomato. Just as good, or better, I think, than Opalka, another paste variety I introduced many years ago.

Carolyn, who would appreciate it if you couold tell me where the name is spelled as Sarnowsky so perhaps I could correct it so a wrong spelling doesn't get spread around. ( smile)

• missingtheobvious
    14 years ago

Mariseeds has it also, with the Sarnowski spelling. (Some of the page is not in alphabetical order; SPP is the ninth variety listed).
    http://mariseeds.com/seedcatalog/italiancul.html

• booberry85
    14 years ago

In a year thats been generally bad for growing tomatoes in the Northeast. These have been troupers! They've stood up to slugs, snails, bunnies, cool weather, early blight and late blight!!! These are definitely on my "to grow again" list. I received my seeds in one of the big tomato swaps on the Round Robins forum. (There's 2 that I participated in last year. One was a tomato & peppers swap hosted by Purpleacres. The other was an all tomato swap hosted by bonechickchris. The all tomato swap and the tomato & pepper swap probably won't start until January or February if memory serves me right.)

• missingtheobvious
    14 years ago

booberry, SPP has been on my (all too long) want list. At the moment, after years of extreme drought, western NC is in the middle of at least two weeks of rain -- every day! I can hear the creek from the house 400' away (it's normally 12-18" wide). And the long-term forecast for our area is for next year to be as wet as 2009 has been.

So your saying that SPP copes with LB is something I pay attention to.

• carolyn137
    14 years ago

SPP has been on my (all too long) want list

I can't find any contact information for you on your member page so if you want some seeds of SPP please e-mail me at cmale@aol.com with your address. The seeds are from 2003 I think, but I have enough to send you so you can plant double and should get all the plants you need.

Sorry, NOT a general offer.

And thanks for letting me know that Marianne is also offering it. Now that I think of it I may well have sent her those seeds as I do send her seeds of varieties I like from time to time. I just don't keep track of what seeds I do send out to friends at commercial sites, well some of them I do write them down but others? Names lost in the stratosphere. LOL

Carolyn

• jll0306
    14 years ago

Tatiana had them in her 2009 offerings. I don't know if she still carries them, but her addy is linked below.

jan

Here is a link that might be useful: Tatiana's Tomatobase

• carolyn137
    14 years ago

Jill, I just checked and her seeds were from me and she lists the variety in her data base and notes there that she is out of seeds on that data base page.

And that's why they aren't listed in her seed offerings.

Carolyn

• tania_in_vancouver
    14 years ago

Carolyn is absolutely correct - I did have seeds earlier this year, but I ran out. The original seeds were from Carolyn, and they grew up to the expectations and the description. This is not a very 'seedy' variety, so I did not manage to save lots of seeds last year...

It is a very nice paste tomato, I should not forget to grow it next spring! :)

Tania

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals