Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ok... want to grow 1 more..but only have a 15 gallon pot.-advice?

Posted by ameera z11+ Dubai (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 23, 11 at 7:05

So... I just heard about an tomato named Orange Minsk...now I really really want to order some seed now to grow this (I have already planted seeds for the varieties I have...so this one will be behind the others).

Because I found a way to fill the fabric pots (the soil) at a reasonable price, I decided to buy 2, 30 gallon pots and 2, 45 gallon pots for the 4 tomato varieties.

But I also bought a couple 15 gallon ones just to maybe plant flowers.

So, if I want to grow 5 tomato varieties, one of them will have to go in a 15 gallon pot... but I just want to see if I should forget it or if you could recommend one of the varieties that might still do well in a 15 gallon pot.

If not, I will still buy, but save the Orange Minsk seeds for next year.

Here are the varieties:

Super San Marzano
San Marzano Redorta
Green Giant
Kellogg's Breakfast
and
Orange Minsk

Or, could I grow Kellogg's Breakfast and Orange Minsk together in 1 45 gallon pot since I am not planning on saving seeds? If I can I will give away the KB seedlings I hve now and re-plant more seeds at the same time as OM so they grow at the same time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ok... want to grow 1 more..but only have a 15 gallon pot.-adv

15 gallon pot is fine to grow any tomato in. Some are successful in as small as 5 gallon pots.

o

I agree. I grew in containers this year ranging in size from 5-20 gallons. Bigger is usually better for tomatoes, but a couple of my best plants this year came from 5 gal. buckets.

o

• Posted by ameera z11+ Dubai (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 23, 11 at 18:02

ok, I will try this then!!! thanks!

o

Are the gallons smaller in Dubai? Your plants are going to be happy with all that room.

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 25, 11 at 7:19

Since you're Zone 11 the trick to a smaller container is that with smaller soil volumes and container diameter you have to keep the soil from getting too hot, so I'd try to shelter the base/container from getting too much direct sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here