Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Many True Leaves Should a 4-week Old Seedling Have?

Posted by yumtomatoes 10a/FLA (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 6, 11 at 7:26

And about how tall should they be? I know it varies from variety to variety and growing conditions like temperature and light, but if you can estimate on average for an indeterminate, full size (not cherry) tomato, that would help me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Many True Leaves Should a 4-week Old Seedling Have?

Yes, all of the variables you mentioned are included which is why it's difficult to answer your question precisely for any specific variety.

I think it's best to say that seedlings should be transplanted from the seed pan or whatever you're using to start your seeds in to a larger container when they have about two sets of true leaves and forget about height.

For instance the variety Riesentraube, an indeterminate, forms a very short seedling to start with, so height is not important, but the number of sets of true leaves should still be the way you look at the situation.

I transplant mine when there are one to two sets of true leaves to 4 pak plastic cells about 2 X 2 inches/ cell, 8 paks to a standard nursery tray for 32 plants/ tray and grow them to outside transplant size in those same cells and transplant at about 6- 9 inches tall.

The FAQ here at GW on how to start from seeds,which I've referred you to before, discusses when to transplant from the seed pan, etc., in case you've forgotten about that FAQ. ( smile)

Suffice it to say that no two folks raise their plants the same way from seed, there are only guidelines, and you have to find out what works best for you in your particular situation by trying different ways of doing it that give you the results that you want.

Carolyn

o
RE: How Many True Leaves Should a 4-week Old Seedling Have?

Thanks, Carolyn. The results that I want are healthy, productive tomato plants, lol!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here