Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zucchini_gw

worst tomato season ever!

zucchini
10 years ago

I am not sure what happened..
I started 70 heirloom seeds, they grew well, I planted 30 of them in my garden. I gave the rest away...Those I gave away flourished and produced many beautiful tomatoes.
My plants produced almost nothing. Many had buds that dried up and died. Some had maybe three tomatoes but often just one. I supplemented my soil with compost (from my compost pile),,sheep manure and tripple mix..also used some fish emulsion. This is what we do most years, and I do shift the
gardens around...
I have an odd thought; Last year a friend gave me three tomato
plants that she bought from a farmer. They produced tons of tomatoes, but all rather tasteless compared to my usual heirlooms. Is it possible that those three plants were GM plants and left some residue in my garden to harm my plants????
I know we had a lot of early rain, but that has happened before and never such a bad year. Last year I had a few plants that produced nothing..but only a few..
Any ideas out there???? If my seeds are too old would they have germinated at all???
cheers, Martha/Zucchini buying tomatoes!!!

Comments (7)

• labradors_gw
    10 years ago

How incredibly disappointing for you!

Where did your sheep manure come from? The only thing that springs to mind is that perhaps the sheep foraged on an area that was sprayed to kill broad leaf plants!!!!

How much sun does your garden get?

Another thought is that perhaps you are over-fertilizing and getting lots of leaves but no fruit.

Linda

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Last year a friend gave me three tomato
    plants that she bought from a farmer. They produced tons of tomatoes, but all rather tasteless compared to my usual heirlooms. Is it possible that those three plants were GM plants and left some residue in my garden to harm my plants????

Not possible. No GM tomato seeds have been available since the 1990s and even then what few there were were highly restricted. Plus no GM modifications would have caused you residual soil problems.

By far the most likely cause is a skewed pH of your soil due to all the additives over the years. IMO you need to have professional soil test done.

"sheep manure and tripple mix..also used some fish emulsion" is excessive fertilization in most soils and can easily leads to salt build up in the soil, excess N, and skewed pH.

Next most likely cause as labradors mentioned is contaminated compost/manure.

Dave

• zucchini
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the sheep manure was sterilized (not fresh)...although it sounds like lots of fertilizer, I don't think it was, very little fish emulsion, and only done once two weeks after they were in the ground..either way I guess I will see what happens next time...Beans grew well, so did cucumbers and zucchini..Tomatilos are still growing..
    Thanks for the gm info...this surprises me too as I thought there was a ton of it out there...

• robertz6
    10 years ago

My last five years for tomatoes have been quite poor compared to my first five years (when I didn't know anything). Over the years I have composted and added the material to my tomato beds. The soil was mostly clay. My zone is 6, and I average around six or seven varieties, both cherry and large; heirloom and hybrid.

In the last year I have begun to wonder if my compost has not been the problem. I do collect fresh cut grass and fall leaves from the neighborhood. Two years after I started collecting leaves from one neighbor, I found out he was bring home herbicides from his workplace, as the retail products were "not strong enough". One article in a recent Mother Earth News article said some herbicide effects lasted up to four years.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I think that the most probable cause has been over supply of Nitrogen: EVIDENCE: lush growth, flowers dropping.

Straight sheep manure is pretty strong stuff. Then on top of that you added others. Tomato plant fruits easily in poor soil. Though the fruits will be smaller and few.

• UncleDunkel
    10 years ago

this fall I would take a soil test and send it to the lab asking for recomendation for a vegitable garden. Also tell them how many square feet of garden you have. Follow there recomendation as what your soil needs.

You might want to contact your state extension agent for advices. Most states offer free soil test as well.

Tim

• zucchini
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks will test it