Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jokerjim

Overcoming Blight

jokerjim
9 years ago

So, I had these immense, 5" tall plants and super thick, that over the course of a week went from awesome to bare, dead leaves, branches, all the fruit with rapidly growing bruises. The potatoes nearby showed the same reaction.

I called Burpee, sent pics, and they at first thought it might have been septoria leaf, but when I sent pics back of the fruit, they said early blight. I stopped really taking care of them, disgusted and greatly disappointed, and watered them only once every 3 days or so when the ground looked dry to try and get a couple of more tomatoes out if them.

Now, all of a sudden, the last 48 hours it seems there is this explosion of new growth! Some plants are even starting to stand upright somewhat again. The new leaves are vibrant green, buds everywhere, to a lesser extent the potatoes, too.

Cornell's site also reinforced that it was a blight. Is it possible that it comes and goes? From what I have read, and I have VERY little garden experience(1st real legit garden this year), blight comes on, destroys everything and it is over. Some of the new fruit that I did not pick has no bruises showing either.

Is this possible that they may have somehow overcome the blight or is it just a false hope sprouting before the final death?

Comments (2)