Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is "Color Break"?

Posted by dspen 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 8:20

I have heard that phrase thrown around on this forum and I am curious to exactly what it means.

Is it when the tomatoes are just starting to get some color or is it when they are almost ripe? Or someplace in between.

I have been picking mine when they are almost ripe and let them sit indoors to finish. But I have noticed that different varieties ripen differently.

For example, my San Marzanos get red on the bottom while staying green on top until I pick them and let them sit for a few days and the green part turns red.

So far this system is working for me, but wondering if there is more explanation to the picking at color break.

Thanks
Diane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is "Color Break"?

It's when they are just starting to get some color. If time, or varments, or cracking due to rainfall isn't an issue, I'll let mine sit on the vine as long as possible.

o

Color break is the first flash of color developing on the blossom end of the fruit.

The links to pictures and definitions are included in many of the previous discussions of this question but I'll direct link one of them for you below.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Guide to ripening stages of tomato

o

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Dave, you just crack me up sometimes!!! You are always on top of things :) That link was a huge help.

Diane

o

Commercial growers refer to 4 color breaks:

Breaker 1, just a blush at the blossom end\
Breaker 2, some color about 1/3 up the fruit
breaker 3. color above about 1/2 way up the fruit
Breaker 4, close to fully ripe..

Then totally ripe, not a breaker stage.

Carolyn

o

I know color break is usually when color first develops on the blossom end. What about when the first color showing is on the shoulders or the side of the fruit, but there is no color on the blossom end? I always have some that this happens to late season, and I do again now. We have been getting night time lows in the mid 40s 2-3 times/week then back up to lows above 50 again. Does plant stress or cold do it? Would you still pick or wait for the blossom end to show color? I don't know why some ripen in a funky way, but right now I have one on the counter that is red 75% around the tomato but one side is stubbornly green.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here