Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Composting old plants?

Posted by taras49 NYC (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 9, 12 at 8:28

I have a chipper attachment to my lawn vac. Would it be beneficial to chop up the finished tomato plants and throw them into the soil?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Composting old plants?

• Posted by tombug 5b N Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 9, 12 at 13:41

I have been hitting my plants with the lawnmower for many years. Then run the tiller across the area a few times. They will be totally composted in by spring time.

The BIG EXCEPTION is if you have had any trouble with fungus or any blight this past year. Then bag them up and get them off property. Tilling in fungus will just increase your rick of getting the same problem again.

o

Good news; I have no fungus or any other problems. As per some other post I'm deficient in organic material. I'll be adding some leaves, some chipped tomato plants along with some 10-10-10 fertilizer. Come spring time I'll add some more 10-10-10, some peat moss and some organic compost and should be good to go.

o

I never compost tomato, potato or squash vines. The risk of disease just isn't worth the tiny amount of finished compost produced.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here