Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question for Carolyn137

Posted by pappabell 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 2, 14 at 8:40

Hi Carolyn,I sent you an email,but think it was denied,or bounced back.Ive been growing tomatoes for many years,and ive always wondered what your favorites are for taste.If you have time,would you send me an email and tell me your favorites,Ones you grow and look forward to every year.THANK-YOU

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question for Carolyn137

I did get your e-mail this morning and would have eventually responded, but here we are now, so I'll just respond here.

When asked to list my faves I've never done so since it changes every year. And I don't have faves that I grow every year for the following reason.

I had to retire from teaching b'c I needed two new hips, Before that happened I fell on Dec 12th, 2004, not that I remember dates that much, and severed all four quads in my right leg and since then have had to use a walker.

So the last time I had hundreds of plants out was the summer of 2004.

At that point I decided since I could no longer grow what I used to that I would try to find varieties new to all or most folks, for my annual seed offer,which I used to do here but now do it elsewhere/

My job is to find all those new ones and I've been quite successful in doing so and have made many new friends from many countries who provide me with those new varieties, and same for folks on this side of the pond.

I have four folks who have been with me for many years who do seed production for me and this past Spring there were so many new ones that I had to put up an SOS thread asking for volunteers.

Previous to this year there were two folks who raised a few plants for me and shipped them to me, but this year a local lad I've been mentoring raised the few plants for here at home. And those are cared for by Freda, a woman who does all my cleaning and all my gardening and that also includes extensive perennial gardens as well.

This next january will be the last offer I will do myself, it's a huge task,I'm 75 now, and time for someone else to take over, and he will for Jan 2016 after he retires. My job will still be to find seeds for those new varieties/ And we have lots of issues to discuss as to organization.

And organization since I have sent seeds for trial to many seed vendors whom I have known well, so need seeds at home here for that as well as my SSE listings, but 2014 listings are the last I'll do.Three of my four seed producers are also SSE memebrs so they get to SSE list the ones theydid seed production for, which I think is one of the reasons they've stuck with me through all these years anyway since letting them list the varieteis I've obtained is nothing new.LOL The only way to preserve varieties is to have them grown out by many others who get them either from SSE listings or via my seed offers.

This year at home I have only 12 plants , 10 are brand new ones from Slovenia and Romania, Germany,etc.,for example, that I wanted to taste myself,and two are cherry tomatoes I like for snacking.

So that's the situation here and nope, I'm still not going to list my faves as many who are here at GW already know.LOL

Carolyn, who is always looking for new family heirlooms and just got a nice lead on a new one from Greece.(smile)

This post was edited by carolyn137 on Tue, Sep 2, 14 at 10:31

o

One of my favorites is Big Zac. I think if Carolyn ever ate one she would love the taste. There was a guy named Growneat who used to be able to post here who extoled the many virtues of Big Zac.

o

One of my favorites is Big Zac. I think if Carolyn ever ate one she would love the taste. There was a guy named Growneat who used to be able to post here who extoled the many virtues of Big Zac.

Hi lubadub, Carolyn has said many times she wasn't overly impressed by Big Zac, so that isn't true. Try something endearing to her like Neves Azorean Red. Or a created heirloom like Julio Iglesias X Willie Nelson, penned as a dedication to her in your book (next on my wish list).

To 'maters all I've loved before

They've been sown and bloomed right out my door
I'm glad they came along
And dedicate this song
To 'maters all, I've loved before.

Varietals I'd once suggest
And may I say I've held the best
For helping me to grow
I owe a lot I know

Genetics they are always flowing
And every time I try to say
Alleles of taste continue flowing
And they just carry me away

To 'maters all that shared my drive
Now they're in someone else's lives
I'm glad they came along
I dedicate this song

To 'maters all that fell to me
That sprawled to heights with pedigrees
They live within my heart
I'll always be a part
Of 'maters all I've loved before

Genetics they are always flowing
And every time I try to say
Alleles of taste continue flowing
And they just carry me away

║: To 'maters all I've loved before
They've been sown and bloomed right out my door
I'm glad they came along
And dedicate this song
To 'maters all, I've loved before :║

PC, Hopefully expecting my orphan, unautographed 100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Garden in today's mail.

This post was edited by PupillaCharites on Wed, Sep 3, 14 at 15:39

o

Hey Pupilla C.

That was pretty darned good!

If you check out Amazon, you might just find Carolyn's book for a good price.......

Linda

o

PC, Hopefully expecting my orphan, unautographed 100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Garden in today's mail.

$$$$$$$$$$$$

Are you baiting me? LOL

Yes, I do autograph my book for others, we'd just have to discuss how to do that and my price autograph price as well. LOL

Carolyn

o

Linda Yeah sort of did ;-) Thx. Of course, I borrowed the Tomato Serenade melody from Willie and Julio so they deserve the credit LOL. Oh the book is on its way! The orphaned part is that it will be a Sad Tomato book without my favorite author's autograph. I heard autographs were going for $500 but that's beyond my budget ;-)

Sad Tomato Book until autographed

Tomato Serenade Song

PS, OP, Neves Azorean Red is a variety that Carolyn seems to mention often. Also, She is on record I'm sure as a fan of Sungold F1 hybrid, and I noted in your posting history that you like sweetness in some vegetables, these won't disappoint.

edited to fix broken link

This post was edited by PupillaCharites on Wed, Sep 3, 14 at 17:09

o

"Yes, I do autograph my book for others, we'd just have to discuss how to do that and my price autograph price as well. LOL

Carolyn, I didn't see your post before answering Linda, but I'm a struggling tomato enthusiast from a poor family and can't afford the list price (this is a joke to my knowledge Carolyn is not selling her dedications). I need the forum special deal, plus with the song let me know if you need a dance to go with that? LOL

PC, home to check the mailbox in 1 minute....and ...

Enjoy your tennis, I have some reading to do ;-) :-) :-)

o

Sounds like I asked the wrong person for help with my quest for the perfect tomato,Oh well,,,Thanks for the reply anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

Sounds like I asked the wrong person for help with my quest for the perfect tomato

;-) IMO you asked the right person the wrong question. After growing over 1000 varieties, each special, and introducing many to home gardeners for the first time!

There is no such thing as the perfect-flavored tomato. Flavor is a complex combination of your own heredity, culture, mood, time of day; and also, weather, soil, and many other chance factors. Not to mention, as we mature, our sense of taste changes along with our sense of smell ... and aroma changes perceptions of flavor, too.

That said, on page 9 of Carolyn's book published in 1999, she wrote:

"Some home gardeners want to grow only varieties for eating fresh (German Red Strawberry, Earl of Edgecombe, and Druzba are superb);"

Hope that helps, in addition to the Neves Azorean Red and Sungold F1 tomato cultivars, all of which she's given high marks to. There is no doubt that you will find them incredibly flavorful if comparing to anything you could buy at the store.

Happy growing.
PC

o

Dear poor struggling tomato enthusiast, as you wrote above,ahem, the choice is yours. Sell your computer and software to get the money to send me the book and return to you as well,and for the autograph fee, OR, go to your bank and take out a loan,

No, I do onot co-sign loans.

The choice is yours.

Please send me an e-mail at cmale@aol.com and we can work out the details once you've sold your computer or taken out a loan(smile)

BTW,at the time I was asked to write that book I'd grown about 1200 varieties,not the1000 you said,and I know how precise you insist on being.It's now over4,000 varieties.

Carolyn, who Marv, has no idea why you had to revert back to lubadub, doesn't make sense to me. Did you contact Tamara the Mod to ask about that?

o

LOL, Carolyn, another mortgage if only you knew how funny that is ... When can I leave this place and find my own tomato-green-acred-Shangri-La? Far from the legions of armyworms, sun shower daily sprinkling, fungal haze in the air, and 80 °F, 98% humidity summers all night long...!!!

Don't make me look into selling future put options on 100 Heirlooms at the strike price of $1K, please be nice. I will email you. But my book doesn't have that kind of equity yet and I'd much like to put it peacefully next to my Illy's Espresso Coffee, the Science of Quality, my only other perk of the day. (smile)

"BTW,at the time I was asked to write that book I'd grown about 1200 varieties,not the1000 you said,and I know how precise you insist on being.It's now over4,000 varieties. "

I'm not insisting, would you like me to insist? I think you've confused me with the other dapper gentleperson! I’m thrilled at the numbers game and I’m on my way to #20, but still am short of growing 1/200 of what you have done!

When I said:
After growing over 1000 varieties, each special, and introducing many to home gardeners for the first time!
I only plagiarized your bio from the inner flap of 100 Heirlooms's cover, so you may scold Smith & Hawkin's graphic design department for not primly and properly updating that to 1,200 at the time, although to be fair they said “more than 1,000”:

Dr. Male scientifically ~ and lovingly ~ has raised more than a thousand different varieties of heirloom tomatoes in her zone 5 garden in upstate New York.

BTW, “in Upstate” New York should be capitalized, shouldn’t it? Or was “upstate in New York” what was meant? And, do you think her zone 5 garden should be a capitalized "Zone 5" too? Yes, you need to revise and expand this book. Based on 1,200:100, now you will need to write “333 Heirlooms” to keep up with all those new and deserving cultivars…

PC, noting that my favorite hot-headed tennis champion of all time, John McEnroe, will be defending his honor at the US Open tonight

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here