Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lan1912

storing tomato seeds?

Lan1912
10 years ago

how do you store tomato seeds?do you put them in the fridge?

Comments (10)

• containerted
    10 years ago

They do not need to be in the fridge or freezer. Mine are put into paper envelopes or recycled prescription bottles and stored at normal room temp. If you chill them down, you will need to warm them back up to room temp before opening them and using them. Cold things cause moisture in the air to condense on the cold objects. This moisture can be the beginning of mold and mildew.

I still get good germination from seeds I saved more than 5 years ago and stored as I stated above.

Ted

• Lan1912
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks!!

• Bets
    10 years ago

I store all of my small seeds in airtight ý ounce bottles (after drying them throughly, and I put a few crystals of dessicant in with them) and the bottles are stored in boxes so they are protected from light. I have some seeds that are 7 to 12 years old and I am still getting 80% germination (better on most varieties) from the oldest seeds. I now have 6 of these boxes (the last one is not full and some are duplicates from different sources.)

{{gwi:1308315}}

Larger seeds (corn, beans, etc.) that will not fit in my bottles, are stored in jars up to 4 oz. in size, and those are stored either in the same boxes or small plastic zip lock style bags in plastic buckets. I am actually in the process of getting the larger seeds converted to 2-4 oz jars so they are airtight and I can put them in the boxes.

Betsy

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

I store mine in glass bottles in a fridge in the basement, one used just for seed storing. Living on a lake we have exceptionally high humidity so I prefer the extra protection they get from that humidity in the fridge.

Dave

PS: check out the many tips and techniques discussed over on the Seed Saving forum here.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I think the most important step is drying them real well before storing. The next important thing is to store them in AIR TIGHT container, , glass, plastic, zip bag,.. does not matter, IMO. as long as they are air tight and no new moisture can get in, especially in humid environment. I have had seeds outside house (in zip bags)for couple of years and they germinated fine. So room temperature( and colder )is fine. The important issue here s moisture fluctuation.
    And it is always helpful to marke them CLEARLY !!(REMNDER TO MYSELF)

• labradors_gw
    10 years ago

I have a small garden with room for 18 tomato plants, so don't need a ton of seeds. I have been putting them in little envelopes onto which I mark the name and the year that they are packed for. This year I bought little plastic baggies which are a lot easier to use.

I keep them for a few years which can come in handy. I've had two accidental crosses, and have been able to go back and grow the seeds from a previous year!

Linda

• Lan1912
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks everyone i will store them in my garage which is always cool and dry.

• mizzyjo
    10 years ago

I learned a trick to keeping the seeds dry: save the little packets of dessicant that come with everything from shoes to nuts to toys. Use them in the bottles you store the seeds in. And, of course, store the bottles in a dark, cool, dry place.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Unless you re dry those dessicants/ silica gels(in oven, eg), they will be worthless. Because after being around for so long they become saturated with moisture and cannot absorb any more. Unless you can get fresh sealed unused ones.

I think wit airtight container you should be fine.

• tormato
    10 years ago

If you have the possibility of rodents, make the storage rodent proof.

Gary