Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dj1975

Brandywine Tomatoes

DJ1975
10 years ago

The best tomatoes for slicing and salads have to be the Bandywine heirloom. I have been gardening for 40 years and never had a tomato as good as the Brandywine, blows the doors off Beefsteaks. So much for genetic engineering.
PS These toms were as big as 8 " diameter.

Comments (9)

• fireduck
    10 years ago

D...my Brandywine is very good....but my Cherokee Purple is better. Keep in mind there are several varieties of "Brandywine". ie. Sudduth's, Red, Pink, etc

• labradors_gw
    10 years ago

That's most interesting fireduck. Since I haven't grown Brandywine in years, but LOVE the taste, I was wondering how it would compare to Cherokee Purple which is amazing this year.

I think that Rose de Bern tastes even better, but I just wish it hadn't suffered so badly from BER when none of my other plants did!

Linda

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

8" in diameter? Hummm.........photo please :-)

• hudson___wy
    10 years ago

Interesting - having just taken the taste test for both of these varieties - Brandywine and Cherokee Purple.........although they both have great flavor and I plan to plant them both in our GH next year.........my vote goes to Cherokee Purple!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I have had BW few years ago. I admit that it tasted great. Those days I read a lot that BW does not like hot weather. At the time I was gardening in GA(hot summers). I planted it in a partly shaded area. It did ok. Not too good.
    This year being in the Pacific NW, I thought it should do well here. Thats why I planted one. It has been a disappointment. It has been VERY slow to begin with. Then it has 3 or 4 tomatoes all together and the plant is over 7 ft tall.
    So, it is a scratch. Next year I will plant Cherokee Purple instead. I have had CP and I liked it too.

• fireduck
    10 years ago

Isn't it always interesting how people have differing opinions/results? I am growing in containers...so I suspect my results could actually be better in the ground. Both my Brandywine and CP are only about 3 1/2 to 4 feet tall. I have harvested 6-8 each already...and have a dozen more big green fruit on right now. I am satisfied with this....in containers. My CP's are juicier, and have less scarring and catfacing than the Brandywine.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

F... it seems to me that you have miniturized them in pots (3 - 4ft ?!)
    I think, when tomatoes get root bound, tend to to fruit early and maybe more. In fact, in my view, this is a good method in pot gardening, as long as the soil is kept moist and fertilized. Then the roots will have no opportunity to grow and instead concentrate on fruits/seeds production.

• dickiefickle
    10 years ago

Brandywine is a Beefsteak tomato

Here is a link that might be useful: wikipedia

• fireduck
    10 years ago

S...you make a great point right there! I am growing in 15 gal nursery pots...and next year I plan to go up to 20 gal trash cans. It is kind of fun to tweek things to get better results. Thankyou for the insight.