Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hothabanerolady

Indeterminate vs determinate total yields

HotHabaneroLady
9 years ago

Is there anyway to make a generalization about whether the total yield over a season of indeterminate tomatoes tends to be higher, lower, or about the same when compared to determinate plants?

Or is that made impossible because of wide variations in fruit size and such?

I have not grown determinate tomatoes in a long, long time, but after this year's disappointing harvest, I am starting to think about whether I should try them again next year.

Angie

Comments (4)

• Peter1142
    9 years ago

IMHO determnates are more reliable than indeterminates... indeterminates require a longer, more successful growing season.

I got more from my determinates than my indeterminates, simply because it was too short a season, and my indeterminates were smaller transplants.

But in a good year where the season is long and your plants don't get any major disease that slow down or prematurely end their growth, you should get more from indeterminates. I think the more experienced growers here prefer indeterminates.

Of course it also depends on variety as you mentioned.

• sheltieche
    9 years ago

I think the worst part of det tomatoes when they get hit with fungal problems they do not have indet power to recover and regrow. While with indet type we can limp alone and still get pretty decent results yet...OTOH compact det is a gem in a container... As for productivity I think it depends on the variety

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Depend on the variety, IMO.
    Some dets produce one flush and then take a long pause. So if you have a short season, forget the second flush (e. SFT). Some dets actually act like indets, producing continuously ( eg. Bush Steak, Siletz, ..). Some indets are known not producing much . like Cherokee Purple, Brandywine (my experience).

So I think there is no way to make a generalization. You have to take each tomato separately and see its productivity in your climate/zone.

• Gregory123
    9 years ago

I think also it might depend whether you are counting pounds or number of tomatoes. Most of my Det plants produced more tomatoes but smaller.
    Next year I will be growing mostly Det or all Det not sure yet.
    I will also be planting fewer plants, I over planted this year and ended up with way too many tomatoes. I didn't think that could happen. LOL
    One of my favorite Det tomatoes this year was Bush Beefsteak, it is a pretty nice variety to grow.

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax