Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refrigerating Tomatoes for seed

Posted by misterpatrick none (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 12, 11 at 10:35

Hello all,

I am leaving the country for three weeks and am worried that I won't have any tomatoes left for seed when I get back. So two questions. Can I refrigerate ripe tomatoes for the time I'm gone and collect the seeds when I get back or can I seed green tomatoes if there'd aren't any ripe ones.

I had a great season and there are some that I would love to save. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refrigerating Tomatoes for seed

I have been putting in seeds fresh out of ripe tomato back into soil while I eat the tomatoes, I have alredy got plants come up for fall season. if you have ripe tomatoes, why not simply take the seeds out now, wash them and let them dry while you are gone?

o

You have many options. Seed in the dictionary should be described as: SEED= an object that does not fail.

Take Care,
Travis

o

The timing is a problem. Have anyone who can do it for you?

Green tomato seeds, assuming they aren't green-when-ripe varieties, won't be mature. So skip the green tomatoes. It has to at least start to break color for the seeds to be worth saving.

The others, if you simply can't find the time to squeeze them, gel and all onto a paper towel, now and let them dry (clean and ferment them when you get back) will have to go in the fridge I guess. The risk there is that the seeds will sprout inside the tomato and be of no use to you.

Dave

o

Thanks for the tips. I guess I'll wait until I get back and hope I have some ripe ones left.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here