Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What have I grown?

Posted by Cocogirl123 none (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 9, 12 at 10:53

Hi,

So this is our first year gardening and we put together several above-ground containers. We bought everything as small plants, so we didn't plant anything from seed. In our strawberry box, we noticed something new a while ago and it looked a lot like a tomato plant. Though I know it is unwise, I decided to let it grow because I am just so curious. Now we have the tomatoes growing in the below picture. I am wondering if you would be so kind as to suggest what these might be. I have no clue what they are - or even how they ended up in my strawberries!

Thank you so much for all your help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What have I grown?

Here is another photo of some bigger ones - they are over 2 inches long...

o

They appear to be the general shape of a roma type tomato but it's hard to know the specific variety even with more pictures including fully ripe ones.

o

To me they look like the Amish Paste tomatoes that I grew this year. My Amish Paste tomatoes had that little "bump" on the end and they got huge.

o

There are lots of varieties that look like that at the green stage, so no way to ID it, but I bet what you have is a seed that was dropped there by a bird b'c that does happen, especially since you didn't plant it yourself. ( smile)

I don't know what you used in your strawberry box as a growing medium, but it too could have had some tomato seeds in it depending on what you used.

But my vote goes to bird transmission. ( smile)

Carolyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here