Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terrene_gw

Why aren't my Tomatoes turning red??

terrene
10 years ago

I have several tomato varieties that are doing pretty well - Purple Cherokee, Ace 55, and Carmello, and they have pretty nice foliage and plump green tomatoes. Seems like I am waiting forever for them to "blush". Even the Sungold cherries seem really slow.

They are growing in partial sun, because I have a lot of trees, but that isn't any different than previous few years.

Anybody ideas why tomatoes would be so slow to ripen??

Comments (8)

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

You don't live that far from me, same gardening zone, and with exceptions of a few days and nights it's been COLD, COLD, and that slows down ripening. Night temps in the high 30's to mid 40's and Monday the high was only near 60 F with cloudy weather.

Carolyn

• sue_ct
    10 years ago

I have been in the same boat! Talk about a late tomato season!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

New England weather. I know, I have lived in CT for over a decade. But then you are going to have the most beautiful fall.All those maples, oaks, .. turning color. B-U-T-full

• thirsty_dirt_77
    10 years ago

As I have learned this year, temperature plays a huge part in when a tomato with ripen.

My greenhouse was full of mature green tomatoes that refused to ripen. As soon as the weather cooled they all started to change.

See the attached article.

Here is a link that might be useful: Why Aren't My Tomatoes Ripening

• chervil2
    10 years ago

My microclimate of the warm and sunny southwest side of my house enabled me to have a decent crop of Sungold, Juliet, and Stump of the World tomatoes. My tomatoes in other garden areas did not ripen.

• terrene
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is an interesting link Thirsty. I would have thought that the tomatoes need warm temps and maybe more sun to ripen! I'm going to try to be patient and keep waiting for the color to break.

• thirsty_dirt_77
    10 years ago

I found it a little surprising as well. All we hear about is how cold the weather is for tomatoes but never that its too warm.

I've grow tomatoes before but outside in the garden. They didn't get much love and if I got a good crop it is a nice surprise. Growing them in a greenhouse for the first time this year was... educational. :) By the end of the summer my husband was saying "hot is good!" and I was saying "NO, it needs to be cooler!"

Something else you might be interested to know is that high temperatures also affect pollination. So you know those warms summers where we all expect to get tons of tomatoes and then they set fruit late??? Its because its TOO warm. lol Apparently the "viability" of tomato pollen greatly depreciates if not turning sterile in temperatures of 90F (32C). Go figure!!!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Tomatoes thrive best in a given range of temperature. It partially depend on the cultivars too. It is a know FACT that most tomatoes shut down at extreme heat (over 90F).
    I thin the optimum temp range is 70F to 85F.

Tomato plants are pretty cold hardy. I have experimented them to endure lows down to 38F. So the mature plant will be the same.

But the question of ripening the fruits is another issue. In my guesstimation, Both growth and ripening will be dramatically slowed down and the fruits will be more on the dry side.