Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennypennynj

Protect Tomatoes from Squirrels

jennypennynj
15 years ago

The squirrels picked my neighbors tomato plants clean. They took all of the tomatoes when they were green, just starting to lighten in color.

They got one of mine so far, and I don't want to loose more tomatoes. Can you recommend a way to protect them?

Here are the options I thought of .....

1. I could put bird netting around the plants. I think that would be able to keep the squirrels out.

2. I could pick the tomatoes as soon as they start to show any sign of turning red and then let them ripen in the house.

Thoughts or alternatives are appreciated!

Comments (24)

• containerted
    15 years ago

Actually, I love squirrels. They're delicious. You might try a spray product called "Repels All". Lowes has it. Spray a few objects to set up a perimeter and they don't cross to do damage.

• habitat_gardener
    15 years ago

Several years ago, I went to a talk where someone suggested planting sunflowers to divert squirrels' attention away from the tomatoes. So I did that, and they ignored the sunflowers.

One year the squirrels took a bite out of almost every Cherokee Purple and Caspian Pink, which were the most fragrant ones in my garden that year. They seemed to ignore all the hybrid red tomatoes in neighbors' plots at the community garden. So the year after that, I planted lots of cherry tomatoes (figuring that no matter how many the squirrels harvested, there'd still be plenty for me), and I also planted lots of heirlooms that weren't red. That seemed to work.

This year, I tried Cherokee Purple again. So far, no bites. But I had a volunteer sunflower in my garden and I let it grow. A few weeks ago, I happened to notice that many branch tips on the sunflower looked bitten off! And then I saw little sunflower heads several feet away. So the squirrels do seem to prefer sunflowers to tomatoes in my garden this year! By the way, I also keep a little saucer of water in my garden for wildlife, so perhaps the tomato bites were a way to get moisture.

A couple days ago, I heard a lot of scrambling when I got to my garden and saw a big red tomato behind my compost bin after the squirrel ran up the tree. Also, whenever I've seen a squirrel in a tree with a tomato, it's been big and bright tomato-red. So there may be something to my idea of planting colors other than shades of red (including pink and purple, perhaps) and cherries. They also haven't touched my big luscious German Orange Strawberry tomatoes.

For my neighbor's garden, where the tomatoes are planted in the middle of squirrel territory and not visible from the house, I'm going to make a chicken-wire enclosure now that their tomatoes are starting to turn red. The trick to using this material is to leave the top few inches (at least 4-6 inches) floppy, so that they cannot climb over the top. It's supposed to deter raccoons as well. It will be interesting to see if this works.

• jel7
    15 years ago

I use an electric fence and it works well.

John

• skipphin
    15 years ago

Has anyone tried this? It's a motion-sensor sprinkler that is supposed to be a deterrent. I, too, have problems with squirrels. I also have problems with neighbors in the night, I just discovered, and I'm ready to soak someone. If anyone is familiar with this product, I'd love to hear your thoughts.
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_1050064_1050064

• k2marsh
    15 years ago

Squirrels love little green tomatoes. I haven't had much toruble with squirrels this year. After eating my nectarines, and pears my tomatoes are next.

This year they only ate the little green tomatoes off of my container plant. I put chicken wire around the tomato plant, but I didn't cover the top. It worked.

I spent this morning blowing down the drive way a few blocks away. It was covered with pecan shells half eaten by the squirrels. Very green peacans. Squirrels love pecans much more than tomatoes.

See my tomatoes covered with chicken wire last year.

Karyl
    =====

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicken Wire Over Tomatoes

• james_in_lapine
    15 years ago

I agree with "containerted". I have heard good things about 'Repels-All'. Squirrels are also good in the stew pot. I have tried pie tins and wind chimes this year at my girlfriends request. She hates me shooting the Squirrels and rabbits. These simple things have helped a lot. Unfortunately I have lost all my tomatoes here in La Pine to the freezes so all we have left are at her place, 700 feet lower.
    Good luck,
    James

• k2marsh
    15 years ago

Bird netting doesn't even slow the squirrels down. They enjoy tearing up the netting.

My neighbor tried it last year, and it didn't work.

Chicken wire does work.

Karyl
    =====

• tomatogreenthumb
    15 years ago

A powerful .22 cal. air rifle has always worked great for me! It solves the problem and also puts meat on the table.

There is a place for a garden and a separate place for the animals, and they should not mix.

• k2marsh
    15 years ago

We used to eat squirrels when I was a kid.

I don't think it wise to be killing squirrels in the city even with an air rifle. I think the neighbors would be complaining.

Karyl
    =====

• cdbva
    15 years ago

Jenny, last week I saw a squirrel run off with a green tomato that probably weighed more than he did. I can't believe how angry it made me feel ;)

I went out and got some bird netting, and that has kept them away this week. We have a lot of squirrels, so I think it's safe to say it's been successful.

Today I found that a baby tomato (technical term for that?) had somehow managed to position itself inside one of the 1/2" squares and then grown to maybe 3/4". I was able to cut the square open with a seam ripper and rescue it, but it sure looks funny. Will be interesting to see how it matures...

Christine

• containerted
    15 years ago

One more plug for Repels All Spray.

I had sprayed regularly (every week or 10 days) with Repels All since late May this year. I guess I kinda got used to not seeing the little devils. But, parts of my garden are winding down, and I guess I hadn't used the Repels All spray in a while. But, my dog (Cookie - the Yorkshire Terrier who thinks she owns everything within her sight) went ballistic and was barking loudly. My wife explained that there were squirrels on the front porch digging in her Mums. I got up and sure enough, there were three of them out there having a good time. A quick question and I was informed that they had been out there regularly for the last couple of days. I walked to my chemical cabinet on the side porch and got the bottle and sprayed a few squirts on the sides of the front porch. Then a squirt or two on the trunks of the trees they went up when I went out there. I also re-established a perimeter for my remaining tomatoes. Now, it's three days later and I haven't so much as seen a squirrel since I sprayed. Call it what you want, the stuff works.

And, best of all, I don't have to kill them (Pssst, my wife made me say that).

• duajones
    15 years ago

3 or 4 yrs ago when I first started growing tomatoes, I had 3 or 4 plants in containers. Squirrels got the first few tomatoes before I had a chance to pick them. Coincidently, my brother put up a squirrel feeder and began putting sunflower seed in it. I noticed the squirrels started to ignore my tomatoes. I put up a second and then a third feeder. The squirrels walk right past pecans, walnuts, etc to get to the black sunflower seed. I put seed in the feeders every morning and havent had a problem with them since. I also keep fresh water for them. They still get into my hummingbird feeders but dont bother my tomatoes at all.

• susancol
    15 years ago

I thought I had squirrels eating my tomatos too. Until I found the 3 HUGE 6" Tobacco Hornworms eating away at them. Scary to think that an insect can take bites as big as a Squirrel! I drowned the worms, by the way. Don't advise that plan for your squirrels, though. Good luck with them!

• holeydude
    14 years ago

How about wrapping a plastic bag around the tomatoes???

• trinq
    10 years ago

Squirrels (I assume--I see them crossing our deck frequently) have been nibbling the tomatoes; this morning I found 5 small ones left on the welcome mat (to appease me?) and about a dozen scattered on the deck; one of the geranium blooms lopped off, some of my begonias. I have 3 large cherry tomato plants on my deck--will have to make a trip into town to buy some Repel!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

There are 3 ways to deal with squirrels:

1) feed them
    2) eat them
    3) BEAT them

I like number (3); Just pick the maters at the slightest suggestion of color. And let them ripen inside. This is the most economical and ecological and humane method.
    Live and Let Live !

• walri12_5
    6 years ago

No tomatoes yet, my patio tomato is just showing buds. And I don't know if squirrels or chipmunks are to blame BUT my house plants are enjoying their summer vacation on our back deck. This morning I found a good chunk of my very old Christmas cactus chewed off & dropped on the deck, as well as a large branch of the patio tomato. Neither was eaten, just chewed off. Last year was the first year that "something" chewed up my Christmas cactus. I heard that squirrels in the area were dehydrated because of our drought. I've now returned the cactus to its indoor spot and we put some fencing around the tomato plant. Spider plants, asparagus fern, geranium and one other succulent are untouched. I think I'll pick up some Repels All but I do like the stewpot idea!!

• gorbelly
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Luckily for me, my neighbor has an apple tree that they mostly ignore. They also have a hawthorn bush. I have a concord grapevine in my yard but don't really care whether I get any grapes off of it, as well as 3 small fig trees. Squirrels mostly ignore my tomatoes until they eat all the other fruit available to them. Late in the season, before the acorns really start on the neighborhood oak trees, I get some squirrel trouble. Covering the tomatoes with organza bags has worked well for me in that situation. I also cover about a third of my figs for me and leave the rest for the birds and squirrels. It works, even though a squirrel could easily rip through if it wanted.

The trick is, if there's plenty else around to eat, even a slight deterrent like netting or gauze can encourage a squirrel to look elsewhere. But if your tomatoes are the only food around, a determined squirrel won't blink twice at overcoming all kinds of barriers.

Unfortunately, people tend to consider fruit and nut trees and bushes, especially the less ornamental native kind, to be pest plants that ruin their nice manicured landscaping. So in places where people have cut down those kinds of plants, your garden is the best party going for the squirrels.

• gumby_ct
    6 years ago

You could put out some water.

Also there are some wireless cameras by Arlo I have started using. They work on motion sense - not cheap but have come down about $50 since they came out w/Arlo Pro.

Best price I found was Costco $200 for a 2 pk. Costco gives a 90 day return on electronics in case you don't like them which also comes in handy should the price go down.

There is also come in a 4 pack but for 2x the price, I found those @ Best Buy.
    https://www.amazon.com/Arlo-Security-System-Wire-Free-Cameras/dp/B00P7EVST6

I found out I still have a woodchuck on my cam. And believe it or not last year saw a woodchuck after dark I didn't know was out there either. Funny he's not eating anything I can see and is always heading back towards the woods.

If all else fails there is always the Farmers Market.

• gorbelly
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

gumby_ct: I found out I still have a woodchuck on my cam. And believe it or not last year saw a woodchuck after dark I didn't know was out there either. Funny he's not eating anything I can see and is always heading back towards the woods

Last year, when I discovered I had a HUGE groundhog (around here we call them groundhogs) living somewhere behind my property, I really assumed it was all over for my garden, as I couldn't put up fencing.

Turns out, the only thing the groundhog took was a bite out of one of my Aswad eggplants and one of my lowest-hanging Cherokee Purples. Everything else, even squash, was left alone. Go figure.

This year, I haven't seen any groundhogs at all. But a big red fox was hanging out in my garden this spring (literally sitting in the middle of my favas grooming itself--and I don't live in a rural area but in an area that has been very developed for a long time) and was a frequent visitor to my yard. I wonder whether that has something to do with it. This spring was remarkably devoid of the usual critters. It's only in the past couple of weeks I've seen rabbits and chipmunks around again. The squirrels, of course, were seemingly unfazed by the fox.

• gumby_ct
    6 years ago

I'd love to have a fox in my garden. I've used both fox urine and a real fox leg & tail for deterrent in the past but lately they seem unfazed.

I thought I had smoked this one out until I saw him on the cam twice. I think he must be covering a large territory cuz he is not a daily visitor.

• gorbelly
    6 years ago

Yeah, it was really cool to have the fox visiting regularly. It was a really cheeky, confident fox. Hasn't been around for a while, though. Hope it's just moved on and is OK and neighbors didn't call animal control on it or anything.

• gumby_ct
    6 years ago

I don't mind animals in the yard/garden just wish they would behave like yours did. Mine like to just eat everything.

Back on the squirrels - I remember some years back the squirrels were eating my corn. I hadn't had this problem in previous years cuz I have several hickory trees they were feeding on. I went out to check and they were far fewer nuts this year.

So I went to the farmers market. These days I can buy corn far cheaper in the grocery store than I can grow it. Ex. last week 19 cents/ear.

Similar story with deer - seen them out there for years. Most they did was to nibble the tips of the tomato plants. No prob. Then for some reason they began to eat the tomatoes green. The next year mama came w/her babies to teach them Gumby has tomatoes.

The next year I took a break from the the tomatoes.

• gorbelly
    6 years ago

Deer are a whole other thing. I'm thankful that there are no deer in my area.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County