Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheltieche

Sugar Drop tomato

sheltieche
10 years ago

Any information/ experience with it? I got it as bonus packet from J&L garden seeds, where I just had to go to get Sakharnyi Pudovichok and Kazachka and of course that did not help, as I had to get Wild Fred from Dwarf project and one of those new blue ones etc LOL
Tatiana site lists it as OP as dehybridization result?
BTW excellent service from the seed company.

Comments (10)

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Tatiana site lists it as OP as dehybridization result?

%%%%%

Lee Goodwin has a fine site and is always breeding new ones in addition to the ones sent to him which you saw with Kazachka, which I sent to him for instance.

All of his ones named Ambrosia,different colored ones, were bred with Sungold F1 as one parent, I can't remember which one it was but I offered it in a recent seed offer elsewhere, initial seeds from Lee,

If you look at what I cut and pasted to here you'll see that it came from the same line as the Ambroia ones, so I would assume that Sugar Drop still has some Sungold genes in it.

Lee posted this elsewhere:

(The Ambrosias and the Copper Currant have wild genes which may help a bit with whatever is going around. Good photos, Robin. Do either of your Ambrosia plants have that spicy, skunky aroma? The smaller one is closer to the Sugar Drop which came out of that line. I would hang onto it. Perhaps we can trade some seed. )

The skunky aroma is a direct reference to Sungold F1 foliage although in his link below he says just spicy.

Sugar Drop is new for 2013 and I don't remember seeing anyone say they were growing it this past summer, but who knows for sure since I only participate at a few message sites.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Sugar Drop

• sheltieche
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carolyn, thank you for reply!
    Am looking forward to growing it next year. It appear to be very early and will be great to try!
    Here is what Tatianaôs site says
    Sugar Drop is the end result of the dehybridization of a yellow cherry tomato accomplished by tracking traits associated with genes from the presumed wild parent of that hybrid.
    So theoretically it is worth collecting seeds from it next year and expect fair stability of the plant just like from any other OP?
    It is bit confusing as apparently there is not related hybrid Sugardrop which is red and commercial so google produced different info.

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Do either of your Ambrosia plants have that spicy, skunky aroma? The smaller one is closer to the Sugar Drop which came out of that line. I would hang onto it. Perhaps we can trade some seed. )

Above is the key phrase from your post.

Lee says that Sugar Drop came out of the same line, and I'm assuming that was his Ambrosia Gold one, which did have Sungold F1 as a parent but I don't know what he crossed it to that would have wild genes, although since Sungold has flat trusses it's known that the flat truss trait is from S. pimpinellifolium, aka the currant tomato, also referenced above.

Since he's listing it now I would assume it's stable but when he sent me seeds for my seed offer of what were called I think Ambrosia Pink, I'd have to check, folks were getting red and gold ones as well/ Yes, I know what's at Tania's site about this and I'm assuming the dehybridization, which could lead to several selections, came out of Ambrosia Gold.

Carolyn

• labradors_gw
    10 years ago

Oh look! The Brits have it too:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1230187/New-Sugardrop-tomato-sweeter-peach.html

As Lindalana says, it's red, and this one sounds like a salad type.

Linda

Linda

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Linda, the Sugar Drop ( two words), we're looking at is a recent development and is yellow. When I opened your link I see Sugardrop, one word, and it's red, and if you look at the date on that article it's 2009.

So two very different varieties but a coincidence of naming. ( smile)

Carolyn

• roper2008
    10 years ago

I grew sugar drop this summer..It is very sweet, and
    the flavor hard to describe for me. Kinda of a melon
    tropical flavor on the mild side..I ate some of the
    late fruit beginning of this month, and wow tasted
    different. More complex and flavorful. Yum.
    I guess maybe the cooler weather changed the flavor
    of the tomato.

My sugar drop was from J & L garden seed.

• sheltieche
    Original Author
    10 years ago

roper2008, thank you for sharing experience. I am so used to have my staple of great cherries like Sungold, Black Cherry, Riesentraube, Isis candy etc that I am looking forward to growing something totally new! So looking forward to next year!

• roper2008
    10 years ago

I grew the Sugar Drop near my Sungold plant. The
    Sugar Drop was just as sweet, maybe sweeter, than the
    Sungold, but the sungold had better flavor..When I tried
    some after weather was cool, it was nicer than the
    Sungold.

Isis Candy is on my list to grow some day.. Last year
    I got some seeds labeled Isis Candy from a seed swap,
    and it turned out to be a mild yellow cherry. I think I
    will get some commercial seed of it for next year..

• sanpedro
    10 years ago

hi -
    Yes, Sugar Drop is my variety. As Carolyn mentioned, it is from the Ambrosia Gold line, and we still were getting some reversion to the dominant red a couple of years ago. All the lines appear to be stable now at F5 and F6.
    We raise and sell produce to local markets and restaurants, and Sugar Drop has replaced the original Sungold in our fields because it's ready early, holds well, and the brix levels are higher than Sungold throughout the season.
    Anyway, thanks for the vote of confidence. It's always good to hear how something you've released is doing out there under different conditions.
    Lee

• fxef
    9 years ago

Is the Sugar Drop (two words) yellow in color and the Sugardrop (one word) red in color?

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner