Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

I have an accidental F2 Brandy boy that might make it!

I noticed a little potato leaf volunteer which had to come from one of my Brandy boys about the middle of July.

I decided to give it a stake and some fertilizer, and now it is blooming with a few small toms!

I still have plenty of time, I think, unless an unusual cold snap comes in. It is still in the high 80's with lows in the upper 60's here. The first frost is at least late Oct. and is usually mid Nov.

I can also protect it if needed.

Comments (9)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

That would be interesting to find out what the F2 plant will produce. You might end up never buying BB seeds again.

Please report when you get the tomatoes.

• John A
    9 years ago

I am up to F10 now and they're still producing true.
    John A

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I am up to F10 now and they're still producing true.
    John A
    %%%%%%%%

John, that sounds like "stable" for all intent and purposes and on the way to join "open pollinated" category.

Good News.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will report back seysonn!

I should have saved more seed from my bigger tomatoes, my sweet wife put "that nasty stuff that you had on the counter" on the porch and it rained before I got home.....

It washed the seeds, that I was fermenting out of the bowl, I may have volunteers under the porch next spring.

I picked some not so big ones and I'm saving the seed from them.

• John A
    9 years ago

Seysonn - In my own mine they are stable, however, commercial growers would never accept that because:
    1. They were not isolated,
    2. My sample size is too small.
    John A

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We started having cooler weather last week and the tomatoes seem to be trying to finish up. It has dipped below 50 several times and the highs have been upper 60's to upper 70's.

They are only about 1" and less in diameter and I think they are starting to change color. They look a little lighter.

They look like mini Brandy wines! Lots of wrinkles around the tops.

I tried to get a pic to post, but I'm not having any success. I'm on my laptop with windows 8, which I don't understand, yet. My desktop, windows 7, got fried in a lightning strike a few weeks ago. It may have to wait until I get the repair parts for the desktop.

• ddsack
    9 years ago

John, I grew the F8 and F10 you sent me, and they were pretty much identical. One F1 I grew from very old seed seemed to mature earlier, but that could have been the placement in the garden, since the other F1 plant was about the same in DTM as the F8's and F10's in the same row. I saved seed from both and will regrow next year. I didn't save any seed from the F1, but maybe I should, just to see what an F2 looks like for BB. Did you have to rogue out any off types in your F2 and F3 plants, or did they always look like the F1 Brandy Boys?

• John A
    9 years ago

ddsack - I plant my F1s from Burpee commercial seed but don't save any seeds from those. I've gotten rid of most of my older saved seed. The deer pretty much wiped out all of my BBs this year so I won't have any F11s. If you save seed from your F10s, I would very much appreciated having some.
    John A

• ddsack
    9 years ago

I did save seed and will check my old emails to see if I still have your address. Will be happy to send seeds back to you.