Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Widespread Frost

Posted by eric30 4 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 7, 11 at 14:18

Last 2 nights the weather called for frost in my area (upper michigan). I wasn't awake early enough to see if there actualy was any. Anyhow, here's a technique I use to protect my plants: I will go out after midnight and wet all of the foilage down really good. I figure if the plants are all wet in the morning then the frost won't touch them. By doing this I think I can hang on for a few more weeks until they freeze.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Widespread Frost

dont you think the water will evaporate by morning?

o

I would cover the plants with something. Old sheets, blankets,etc. Sounds too chancey doing the water thing.

o

Something similar to eric30's technique is used in the Florida and California orange groves when temps threaten to be a bit below freezing. A thin layer of ice protects the trees.

I don't know the details (it's my dad, not me, who spent time on his grandparents' orange grove). And although the big local growers here spray the apple orchards in similar circumstances, I've no idea if the technique is useful with herbaceous plants.

Here's a bit on how it works:
http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5245655_spraying-frost-protect-fruit-freezing_.html

o

My friend 4 blocks away had his plants touched by frost and mine are still fine. My thinking is that by that late at night, it is cool and almost 100% humidity so there isn't much evaporation if at all. Plants stayed wet until the sun hit them in the morning. Water is a fabulous thing, it takes alot of energy for it to undergo a physical change. So far the 10 day forecast says that I'm safe through next weekend for now.

o

You could do one plant each of different types of frost protection and see what gives the best results.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here