Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaf Miners in Seedlings

Posted by yumtomatoes 10a/FLA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 7, 11 at 14:25

On my full sized plants, I just ignore the leaf miners, but will they hurt a seedling since the seedlings have so few leaves?

Bayer makes a soil drench with imidacloprid in it that will work against leaf miners and is safe to use on vegetable plants. I use it on my roses to kill chili thrips so I already have it and could use it on the seedlings if the leaf miners are dangerous to the seedling's health.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaf Miners in Seedlings

I wouldn't use a systemic insecticide on edible plants of any kind.

o

I know what you are saying rhizo, I feel leary of it, too, but the reality is that the commercial (non-organic) growers use it widely on edible plants. So unless you only eat organically grown vegetables/fruits/grains, you are exposed to it. It is considered non-toxic to mammals but who knows what future research may show regarding long term exposure.

I suppose I need to just hope for the best since the contact insecticides aren't effective against the leaf miners.

o

You can simply squish the leaf miners in the leaves when you first notice them. Or remove those leaves -- or the damaged parts of the leaves (being sure to bag and discard).

o

If I squash the leaf miners or remove the leaves, won't that do as much damage as the leaf miners themselves?

o

If you squish the leafminers, you damage a bit of the leaf, but save the remainder of the leaf from being mined. I imagine it's best to be careful not to damage the major veins.

If you remove (then bag and get rid of) the damaged leaves before the leafminers have pupated, you eliminate the next generation of miners.

In a thread earlier this year, planatus said it was safe to remove up to 30% of a tomato plant's leaves (in case of damage of one sort or another). [I can't believe I actually located that thread!]

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here