Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joeorganictomatoes

I need some suggestions for next year!

joeorganictomatoes
10 years ago

I'm really limited on space in my garden. Is a container that is 19" in diameter and 20" deep large enough to grow a regular heirloom tomato or do I need to focus on a choosing varieties that are recommended for large containers. Also any suggestions on which container varieties to choose would be most appreciated. Thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to your responses.

Comments (10)

• dickiefickle
    10 years ago

That would make a great container. One plant only. Your best results will be in growing Determinate. Rutgers is a great tomato ,also fond of Russian Persimmon.

• sheltieche
    10 years ago

If you browse Tatiana website for containers varieties there is lots of choices. There are also some dwarf ones that will grow in smaller containers which you can tackle into sunny spot if space is at premium. Watering will be a problem with smaller container but something can always be rigged to be semiautomatic.
    http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Tomato_Seeds_for_Container_Growers
    Also someone might chime in which better varieties came out of dwarf project? I am curious to know as well.

• fireduck
    10 years ago

Joe...that will be great. I used 15 gal nursery pots...and I think yours is a bit larger. If you want to try indeterminate heirlooms...go for it. I grew Brandywine and Cherokee Purple this year. Grow the Cherokee's...you will love them. Think out your support system AHEAD OF TIME. Next year I will...PS you will need to water every day in warm weather.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I have seen a lot of pot gardening pictures that show growing tomato in 5 gal bucket is common.( 7 dry gal ?)

• fireduck
    10 years ago

S...is correct. However, IMHO bigger IS better. My plants did "very good" this year. Next year I am bumping up to 20 gal trash cans. Hoping for even better...

• joeorganictomatoes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow! Thanks everyone for your input! I'm already planning for next year. Yep I'm going to try growing one plant in a large trash can(30+gallon), and also one in a Rubbermaid 36 gallon tote I'm also going to try and grow some from seed and Tatiana's website gives me plenty of choices. Growing heirloom tomatoes is a hobby with me. (I'm strictly organic). I love eating them and giving away free samples. I can't wait till February/March to start all over again..

• beeman_gardener
    10 years ago

I grew an indeterminate Big Beef in the equivalent of a 5 gallon bucket and it did extremely well. Pruned to a single stem, it reached over 7 feet before I tipped it.
    I plan to do a similar idea for my greenhouse next year using Alaska Grow buckets. If you're not familiar I would suggest you have a look, it's a good idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alaska Grow buckets.

• qaguy
    10 years ago

I seem to remember reading somewhere that a 5 gal
    bucket was the minimum size to get decent results with
    a full size tomato.

Of course, the bigger the better. I once used half-barrel
    sized pots and had plants that bent my teepee style
    cages to the ground.

Keep them watered though. Plants dry out quickly in
    containers. I used to keep them in saucers full of water.
    I'd fill the saucers in the morning and by evening they
    were dry.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I'm really limited on space in my garden...
    &&&&&&&&&&&&

Welcome to the club. You are not alone.

-- try to plann some DWARFS(mabe in pots),
    -- Try to plant some determinants.

-- Try to plant in tighter space BUT be ready to do some systematic pruning.

If you do the above combination , you probably can grow TWICE as many plants as regular/standard/conventional inDETERMINANT plants in any given space.
    I plant (in average ) one plant in 3 sqr-ft. 4 sqr-ft per inDET plant is just fine. But as I said you have to control them. Right now I have one of ecah : Early Girl, Black Krim and Brandywine in a a 12 sqr-ft bed. And believe me they are HUGE.

• sheltieche
    10 years ago

Seysonn, my real estate is limited not as much as yours, I do like your strategy though! I have few dwarf and super early det.- not that I like det. but they have their use- and indet. for earilness. I find that I am super happy to have cherry early on but as season progresses I want to have that good heart or beefy slicer far more and cherries are just not the thing anymore. Going to be first time trying real dwarfs that could be grown in 4ôèpot too...