Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yumtomatoes

Hoping for Tomatoes by December, Started Seeds mid-July

yumtomatoes
11 years ago

Decided to start my seeds mid-July this year to see if I could get tomatoes by December. OTV and Cherokee Purple. Nice looking plants, lots of flowers, but no tomatoes due to blossom drop due to the high nighttime temps and God awful humidity still.

Hoping for some cooler weather soon!

Comments (12)

• subtrop
    11 years ago

I'm hoping,too ;-) Started early August and the Sweet Chelsea are the largest plants so far. Yellow Pear is after, then Ugly Ripe, a F1 plum to try, Black Krim, Cherokee Purple, Cherry Blossom. Not doing so good are the varieties for our heat, Manalucie, Floradade and Tropic. Go figure...

• thetradition
    11 years ago

I started my seeds mid-july, too. I have three Better Boy Hybrid plants and three Super Sweet 100 plants.

I currently have a grand total of six cherry tomatoes set and growing, and four better boy fruits are set. I believe they set a little early due to a couple of relatively cool, cloudy days. None of the flowers since then have set.

Can't wait for the weather to cool off so those plants will start really going. In any case, if I can keep the bugs at bay, I should have enough cherries for a salad by the end of the month, and some slicers in mid-October! Then I'll have to wait a few weeks for the next batch of cherries.

Anxiously looking at the Better Boy flowers, practically begging them to set fruit! C'mon, guys!

• yumtomatoes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for letting me know your experiences subtrop and Tradition.

Subtrop - that is odd that the varieties that are supposed do well in the heat aren't.

Tradition - what are you doing about bugs? Neem oil or insecticidal soap?

For me, lots of blossoms on the soil today after a rain. :(

• thetradition
    11 years ago

I was handpicking until this week when I broke down and sprayed some BTK. Haven't seen a caterpillar since, but I know I must remain vigilant. I try not to spray until I feel I'm losing the handpicking war.

• yumtomatoes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have a tomato on my cherokee purple!!!! Lots of blossoms on the soil again today after the rain though. I think I may have started 2 weeks too early. Next year I will start Aug. 1st.

• steffyro90
    11 years ago

Omg tomatoes by December! I planted my tiny Tim's TODAY and was hoping id have tomatoes before Christmas. I heard they are 45 days to harvest which would put me at mid November.

• yumtomatoes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

steffyro - cherries are different. Tiny Tim's from what I can gather are 60 days to harvest from transplant. Plus cherries set fruit better in the heat and humidity than full size tomatoes.

I am growing full size tomatoes that are 80-90 days to harvest from transplant. (Transplant is usually a 6 week old seedling).

• steffyro90
    11 years ago

Phew newbie here so I'm a bit clueless. I have them in a south facing window in the kitchen. Stays about 70 to 75 in there all year. This is actually my first ever winter growing indoors. Ive taken on
    basil
    Spinach
    Tomatoes
    Little finger carrots
    Black cherry trees
    Banana tree
    strawberries
    Iceberg lettuce
    Cilantro
    spacemaster cucumbers

Lets hope I do well!!!

• yumtomatoes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Steffyro - you're growing tomatoes in your kitchen with the light coming in from a window? I am not sure how well that will work. Tomatoes need a lot of direct sunlight to produce fruit.

• steffyro90
    11 years ago

Yes yumtomaoes, my kitchen faces south with direct light from about 8am to 6pm. I planted my cucumbers on the 20th (there next to the tomatoes) and got my first sprout today.

• yumtomatoes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

well, good luck to you, but it doesn't seem like that would be enough sun for tomatoes.

• yumtomatoes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I now have 3 tomatoes on my Cherokee Purple and none on OTV. Lots of blossoms on OTV, but they drop off.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm