Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom8olvr_gw

question about tomato genes

tom8olvr
12 years ago

Several years ago I got a green globe with a rusty blush with green interior from a packet of Ananas Noire. I liked it so much that I saved seed from it. I finally grew them this year. Well, all the tomatoes were beefsteaks - like the *real* Ananas Noire. Is the little globe completely lost? If I grow seed saved from the beefsteak (F2) will I get ANY globes show up in F3? Should I go back to the original seed pack (I'm calling F1) and hope that may be the globe will show up there (I kept some seed)? Anyway, just curious what the chances are that the globe will pop up *somewhere*.

Thanks.

Comments (5)

• carolyn137
    12 years ago

Me be confused, so help. LOL

You bought a pack of Ananas Noir, you put out several plants and here's where I'm confused.

Of the plants you put out one had all normal beefsteak shaped fruits or did one plant have all globe shaped ones, or did one plant have all normal beefsteak shaped ones but ONE globe one on the same plant?

I'm not understanding why you're calling the seeds in the pack F1 seeds if you got normal Ananas Noir from that seed pack, nor am I understanding why you now call the correct beefsteak ones F2's.

So please help me understand better.( smile)

Carolyn

• tom8olvr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Of a pack of ananas noire I grew one plant. That plant produced globes - all globes on that one plant. I saved seed from those globes. I grew out 5 plants from the seed I saved from the globes - all 5 plants gave me the beefsteaks.

• b_kct
    12 years ago

Im no expert, but ananas noire (black pineapple) is suppose to be a heirloom.

So unless Im mistaken there, saved seeds should produce same tomatoes.

F1-F2-etc is for hybrids. Those regress to one of the parents iirc and stabilize around F5. Again no expert, just stuff I read.

• carolyn137
    12 years ago

No, Ananas Noir isn't an heirloom. It was found in a field of the tomato variety Pineapple , just one plant, this in Belgium, and it is a cross between Pineapple and an unknown other parent, presumably a dark colored one. It was genetically stabilized by the person who found it and so while OP it is not an heirloom, it's the result of crossed seeds.

Aha, I just found that the response I gave to the clarification didn't post although it was here last night. Wonders never cease, so here we go again.

As posted above:
    Of a pack of ananas noire I grew one plant. That plant produced globes - all globes on that one plant. I saved seed from those globes. I grew out 5 plants from the seed I saved from the globes - all 5 plants gave me the beefsteaks.

The one plant that grew all globes could well have been from a stray seed which you don't know since you only had one plant.

If it resulted from a stray seed of a known variety then all 5 plants whould have been the same.

If you saved seeds from those globes, which is not what A Noir should be, and then put out 5 plants from those saved seeds and you say that all 5 plants gave you the beefsteak shaped fruits that WERE Ananas Noir, then I don't understand what was going on.

If the Globe plant was a hybrid from a natural cross then saving F2 seeds and putting out 5 plants should have given you sone different plants and fruits b'c the genes would be segregating.

The fact that you got ALL true Ananas Noir plants is not something I can understand.

So perhaps someone else can offer a different explanation that might help. If all 5 F2 plants were different or at least some of them were I could understand the situation better.

Carolyn

• coconut_head
    12 years ago

Could you have possibly mislabeled your seeds? Did you grow any of the seeds from the plants that gave you the Ananas Noir? Maybe those that you labeled as that were in fact the green globes.

Perhaps there is a latent recessive gene in the AN similar to how an albino is formed. Maybe you got a plant last time that was just a very rare recessive permutation and even the offspring will revert back to the dominant gene. I'm not sure if plants work the same as animals, but it's a thought.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction