Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
qbush

Cover Crop to follow late blighted tomatoes

qbush
9 years ago

My paste tomatoes, San Marzano 168, seeds from Johnny's succumbed first to late blight, and then THE SHOVEL. (dire music...) They are currently residing in a black plastic trash bag waiting for next trash day.

Yes, I have read here (Registered forum lurker: #304) that I can compost the remains, but I just don't have that much confidence in my hot composting skills.

My question is what to cover crop for best productivity/ soil fumigation for next year? I have read that mustard can help, but which one, and when? I am thinking of growing flowers in this section next year, and will move tomatoes to another area so I am hoping this is about feeding the soil, and learning better prevention techniques for next year's relocated tomato crop.

I have a friend that swears by blight resistant varieties, but I mostly grow tomatoes to cook with, so paste tomatoes with superior taste are usually my favorites. My favorite has been Amish Paste, which has no resistance to speak of, but tastes great. I grew this San Marzano last year and it was ok for taste... Any info??

Comments (4)

• sheltieche
    9 years ago

mmm, there is no resistance to late blight.... yet. But there is early blight and southern blight too. Different problems though.
    I am using Kodiak mustard, my reason is very short period to grow cover crops, fumigation is just a bonus. I am also using decorative mustards in perennial beds.
    Am not sure if biofumigation will be helpful specifically for late blight but it won't hurt LOL

• daniel_nyc
    9 years ago

> My paste tomatoes, San Marzano 168, seeds from Johnny's succumbed first to late blight...

Did you try spraying Daconil ?

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    9 years ago

There are definitely varieties available to Late Blight: Mt. Magic, Plum Regal, Defiant, Mt. Merit, Jasper and many more on the way. But your efforts to bag the infected plant residue are more to protect your neighbors for this year only since the pathogen cannot overwinter in your area--- YET. If two mating types were in your area we would all be panicking.

Daconil is only preventative for this pathogen and too late for you to use now. Better success next year. Dr Randy Gardner, NC State retiree, may soon release a few new Heritage varieties that fit your niche and have Late Blight resistance. He is credited with breeding most of the LB resistant varieties currently on the market... and a few like Defiant also have Early Blight resistance.

• qbush
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Daconil is not an option. I have a dog , and a 14 year old son in the garden. I am not sure who is more careless, so I just avoid anything toxic that I possibly can. I CAN buy tomatoes...

Yes Bmoser, YET. So I am reporting to local extension, and moving on to other crops. Thanks for the list of resistant varieties. Any advice on which seed vendor Dr Gardeners new work is available through? I found Plum Regal on Johnny's, and may order it now, so I don't forget.

Lindalana: Thanks! I am the only one who likes mustard here so I am going in search of Kodiak.