Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenniedhs_7_tn

Mystery tomato disease

Jennie Sims
9 years ago

I was hoping someone might be able to identify what is going on with one of my tomato plants, a Cherokee Purple. I have been dealing with this since early August. First the leaves exhibit brown areas, and slowly the entire branch turns brown, dries up and dies. I have been to all the tomato disease sites. At first I thought it was late blight. But ruled that out as it has progressed slowly, stems and fruits are not affected, and none of my other tomatoes, some in close proximity, have shown any signs of this. It has slowly defoliated over three quarters of the plant. Pictures of drought stress looked similar, but there has been no yellowing of leaves. All my indeterminate tomatoes are grown in #15 nursery pots, watered by a drip system, sprayed regularly with a fungicide and fertilized weekly. The rest are going strong. I have checked the micro spray head on this plant and it is not clogged. I remove all diseased leaves and branches immediately on this one and continue to spray with a fungicide, but it hasn't stopped the progression. So I am stumped.

It is late in the season so I am not worried about saving it at this point. It has enough foliage so the last tomatoes I will probably be able to harvest. But would like to know for future reference if I ever run into this again.

Thanks for your help.
Jennie

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions