Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommendations for best cherry tomato (Bump)

Posted by mauirose 11 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 27, 09 at 16:26

i tried to bump this older thread from last year but it won't repost to the top of the forum. Here were the results:

#1 Black Cherry-15 votes
#2 SunGold-14 votes
#3 Sun Sugar, Green Grape, Gardener's Delite, SuperSweet 100 each with 4 votes
#4 Snow White, Dr. Carolyn-3 votes each
#5 Reisentraube, Purple Haze, Yellow Pear-2 votes each

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to original thread

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommendations for best cherry tomato (Bump)

Purple Haze is not a cherry. My vote would be for sungold with black cherry and gardeners delight.

I don't understand why doctors green aint on that list.

o

There were a few tomatos that were only mentioned once-Green Doctors was one. i guess it moves into 5th place now ; )

Some things are popular because they are widely available. Here are the others that were mentioned at least once:

Aunt Ruby's Yellow, Brown Berry, Randy's Cherry Bomb, Matt's Wild Cherry, Sun Cherry, Chello, Matt's Mexican Wild, Red Robin, and Madara.

i might have missed a few, it's a longish thread.

o

SUNGOLD,SUNGOLD,SUNGOLD

o

Hey Maurirose; I am not a big fan of cherry tomatoes as they tend to be overly sweet.
I did notice however these results from the Seed Savers Exchange most recent Tomato Taste-off.
It seems that Velvet Red Cherry won for best tasting tomato. Also Mexico Midget,Sheboygan, Green Zebra, Red Zebra and Brandywine were in the top 5 below the winner.
I am still trying to figure out how Green and Red Zebra are even in the running?
It's similar to Yellow Pear being in the top 5 in your post. Sheboygan is understandable but not so with any of the others.
The only one here that I haven't grown is Mexico Midget. I am assuming that it is overly sweet.

o

LOL CPM.

Have you tried Sun Sugar? Just wondering how it compares. i think i read that brix is 10 for Sun Sugar and only 8 for SunGold. Can't imagine getting much sweeter than SunGold and still having a tomato.

Zebra yes, thanks, i saw the SSE taste results as well as the thread on this forum.

I am still trying to figure out how Green and Red Zebra are even in the running?

i confess that when i saw that comment i kind of discounted the whole thing. Was that wrong?

o
oops

compost pete-grower i absentmindedly renamed you compost pete-moss thus CPM. Sorry about that.

o

• Posted by tammysf 9b/10a or sz15/16 (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 28, 09 at 6:15

I grew sungold, sun sugar, and sugar snack right next to each other.

Sungold and sun sugar tasted exactly the same to me and great plants. I would grow either again.

They say SS is less prone to splitting but I didn't really have that problem with SG.

The only thing that would give SG the edge was it was grown in the least favorable spot and kicked ass. It has been hot here and it still has a bunch of new growth and flowers.

o

Black Cherry or Brown Berry would be our choice. Hubs and I have taken them both down to MAGTAG on separate years--both were top ten, but I think Black Cherry was the highest winner.

o

I must be the exception- because I did not enjoy Sungold at all this year.

I give my vote to Black Cherry. Yummy!

o

For me it has been:

Sungold, Sweet Million, and Black Cherry.

o

I see no mention of (Champagne Cherry) of which everyone who has grown it this year are raving about it, better than sungold apparently, but quite hard to find and obtain.

o

I've tried them all (well, 20 to 30 of them over the years anyway), and for me it's always Sungold (because I like sweet)

But I also think Sara's Galapagos deserves a mention for its complex, sweet flavor.

And Tami-G (which is not a cherry but a grape, but it's the best grape!)

Carla in Sac

o

mauirose, I think I like cpm better than cpg - flows better. As far as the brix and sg vs ss, to me they are identical. I have grown both for 9 years and brixed 100's of them and it depends more on the weather, stage of ripeness, etc. sg can brix any where from 8-13 and ss the same. coke is 10 and mtn dew is 12.. It is very hard to get them consistently over 11 and sg probably averages a litte higher, maybe. the splitting thing in my garden is not different for either one.

secret-- I have a method of separating the highest brixing tomatoes from the lower ones WITHOUT PIERCING OR CUTTING THE TOMATO!!!!--archimedes-gold crown lead fake--specific gravity

o

• Posted by gars 7b GA (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 30, 09 at 8:36

I have always had a good crop of BIG tomato tasting cherry tomatoes from Anait. It is disease and crack resistant and has produced for me in drought and excessive rain.

o

Which cherry tomato has more of a tart taste and less sweet?
Planning for next year.

Thank you
Larry

o

Larry,

For what it's worth from my one year of growing it, Riesentraube (sp?) was a good cherry tomato that's not so sweet, but has a nice full tomato taste... like a good red regular-sized tomato.

o

Well i just placed an order with PineTree that includes Sun Sugar, Green Grape, Snow White, Black Cherry and Gardener's Delight.

Thought i'd try Black Cherry again from a different source.

My SunGold is a little over a year old. i'm going to try and hard prune it and see what happens.

PineTree also offers something called 'Rainbow Cherry'. Anyone know that one?

o

This year I grew Black Cherry, Isis Candy, and Sungold. All very good, and listed in my order of increasing sweetness. Friends treasured the Isis when they were offered tomatoes of their choosing from the garden, and it was a good producer. I always have a big problem with cracking/splitting on Sungold, but we grow it every year because it is so great for snacking, so early to ripen, and prolific. The Black Cherry had a good traditional, rich tomato flavor in a small package. I also grew Yellow Pear, which is lovely and very productive, but I found its flavor insipid. Probably won't grow it again.

o

This year I grew 3 different cherry tomatoes. I don't think they were mentioned on this thread.

Jenny - Yellow tomato, very prolific, sweet, I really liked the flavor. Sometimes I would eat them while the tops were still a bit green. Not as sweet but good flavor.

Chocolate Cherry - Great tomato flavor

Lady bug - One of my all time favorites. Very small fruit but very big taste.

I was just reading about taking cuttings and starting plants. I may try doing that to see if I can grow these 3 over the winter on my patio.

Katy

o

WHY BUMP ? WE ALL READY DEAD IT ALL READY

o

• Posted by llaz z6 ma (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 7, 09 at 9:47

My favorite red cherry is Chadwick's. I like black cherry but a little wet weather and they split. I tried Negro Azteca this year to see if they would split less, but I couldn't see any difference from black cherry. One really nice cherry that I like a lot is Hopkins. It's bright yellow and has a really nice flavor.
Lou

o

I'm growing over 30 varieties next year. I've decided cherries should be featured in my climate. Over half of my plants will be cherry types. So, I'll have a long report next year.

However, I just went outside to check on how things are doing with the cold nights and there was a surprise. My last Husky Red Cherry plant ripened a bunch that were previously hidden from view. As it was all summer with them, they did not disappoint. These are delicious tomatoes, maybe even especially so with a cool crisp snappiness from the morning chill.

So, while Sun Gold remains my favorite, and I'm not much for ranking or calling something best, I think Husky Red Cherry is a very nice plant, very stout as the name implies, very productive like a good hybrid should be, nicely contained to about 4 feet, and a nice slightly sweet fruit with a nice pure tomato taste and excellent texture if you like a little crispness like me. In my conditions it was a winner. Of the half dozen cherry types I grew this year, I guess I would rank it second behind Sun Gold, but there's certainly times when I preferred it above any, and times some others may have been preferred, like my SS100s when they really got sweet.

Husky Red Cherry = Darn Good Tomato.

o
RE: also

The Husky Red Cherry was by far the favorite of my mom and one sister, both finding Sun Gold and SS100 too sweet, Juliet, Porters Dark Cherry, and Yellow Pear too mild.

o

Katy:

Not to hijack this thread, but I always take cuttings of one or two plants and overwinter them so I have "a little something" early next spring. It works better with cherries. I usually do it the day after the first frost, when the plants have a little damage, but the inside sprouts are still OK. Then I put them somewhere a little warm (like on top of a fridge) so they will grow, but slowly. Sometimes I have to re-pot them if they grow too big, or not. Then I plant them out in March or April.

Carla in Sac

o

The favorites from our garden this year (in order of my older DD's preference):
1. Black Cherry
2. Sungold
3. Snow White
4. Isis Candy

o

Very little difference between Negro Azteca and Black Cherry except for taste....BC was winner, hands down.

o

I am very impressed with Husky Cherry Red. It is sweet, tart, "meaty," very crack resistant, and has a very manageable growth habit, especially if you want to grow it in an Earth Box (or similar container). The only down-side that I see is that it's skins are a little tougher than I'd like, but not excessively so. Last, it a very good producer -- far more than you would think for a 4-5' plant.
-WC

o

Husky Red sounds interesting, especially the part about the manageable size.

The Black Cherry i grew this year tumbled out and over the 8' CRW cage, ripped out the 1/2" rebar stake on one side and bent the stake on the other side in half as it toppled over. Still going strong ; )

Course we do get quite a bit of wind....

o

I like a lot of the ones mentioned, but I think my favorite this year was black pearl, which I bought at the farmers market. They're delicious and insanely pretty. I saved seeds and can't wait to grow it myself. (Hopefully it's the OP version)

o

I may have missed it but no one has mentioned my favorite ,which is Galinas. It's a very tasty,productive,Yellow on a Potato Leaf plant.

o

I grew SunGold last year. Loved it even though we had horrible weather and never had a problem with them cracking.

I'm gonna try Sun Sugar in 2010 though. I prefer a smaller cherry and Sun Sugar is smaller. I've read mixed reviews on people being able to tell them apart or not. We'll see next summer. My other hybrid is gonna be Sun Cherry. SWEET, SWEET, SWEET.

I am gonna also buy Black cherry from a different source too. They did not wow me last summer and they get such rave reviews I want to try them again. I think I'll order them from TGS when I pick some other stuff up in winter. My seed source for BC was Marianna's Heirloom's for 2009.

If anybody wants to try her BC, LMK. I have seed left over.

Melissa1977

o

A few notes about Sara's Galapagos: Very balanced flavor. Like having a normal sizetomato in cherry form. Holds for a LONG time on the vine and no cracking, splitting, etc. Got a boat load of fruits off of one plant that was grown in part shade. A bit small, butnot a pain in the arse, like currant tomatoes. Black cherry is the most delicious, but even the act of picking them is enough to make them split in your hand.

o

Just wanted to report back:

Black Cherry-Fine
Sun Sugar-Fine
Sun Gold-Pretty good
Snow White-Fine
Gardener's Delight-Fine
Green Grape-WOW! Really great flavor, thanks for the recommendation.

What else tastes that good?

o

For Red -- Sweet 100
For yellow -- Dr. C

o

We've been growing Dr. Carolyn Pink for about 3 years now and it has become a staple in our garden. Nicely prolific, doesn't seem to be so prone to splitting, and great true-tomato flavor. It's the only cherry/grape that we are growing as a repeat this year. The rest of the list is: Chocolate Cherry, Ildi, Orange Peruche, Green Grape and Cupid (Grape.) Green Grape doesn't seem to be doing much so far but all the others have bunches of trusses of little greenies. In our climate we rarely start harvesting before the end of July or the beginning of August. Given the drowning they went through a few weeks ago and this awful heat wave now, that they are setting anything at all is just amazing.

o

For me it's a toss-up between Cherokee Green Grape (CGG, not GG) and Sungold, with Matt's Wild Cherry my favorite red cherry.

o

Have any advise for great tasting red cherry, OP, works well in zone 5 cool nites, reasonable size?

Am on the third year of sweet cherry 100, would like an OP.

d

o

col sprg maters,

I'm 45 minutes south of you in Pueblo. I know it's a bit warmer down here. Here's a pic of the Riesentraube in my garden. In addition to being extremely productive, it's a smaller plant than the other OP cherry tomatoes I've grown here.

Photobucket

o

I got a late start with my tomatoes this year but my Matt's Wild Cherry has been growing like a weed ( with just a touch of EB ) and started ripening this weekend and we had some on our salad last night ... yummy ! they are small cherries but they are oh so sweet and full of flavor , perfect on a garden salad ;-)

Photobucket

o

I'm going bump this post because It's been over a month and I'm very curious about any new reports. Has anyone tried Sungold Select II this year??

Beautiful photos! Thank you!!

o

I really can't say enough good things about Matt's Wild Cherry! They were the earliest to ripen. I'm just amazed in that tiny tomato how big a flavor it has. It's a "beefsteak" tomato in a small "cherry" tomato body. They really burst with all that yummy tomato-y flavor when you pop them in your mouth.

I'll be growing these again.

My other big favorite for cherry tomatoes are black cherry. Yum! It's the second year that I've grown them and will grow them again.

o

Black Cherry has been a big hit here.

o

• Posted by ruthz 8a D/FW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 14, 10 at 11:38

korney19, where do you get seeds for your Cherokee Green Grape? I did a web search and didn't find anything.

o

Definitely Sungold but in the interest of full disclosure I have never tried Black Cherry. Do they grow well in Zone 5?

o

I'm in 5B and they grew fine. They were significantly later (about 3 weeks?) to bear ripe fruit than my Sungold and Supersweet100 plants.

o

Mike63, I'm in upstate NY, zone 5 and yes, cherry tomatoes do well in zone 5.

For cherry tomatoes, the biggest producers with the best taste have been: Matt's Wild Cherry, Black Cherry, Tommy Toe, and Supersweet 100's.

I've also grown Yellow Pears (productive, cute, but a little bland), Brown Berry (yummy, but not as productive as Black Cherry), Blondekopchen (disappointing yellow cherry, productive but no flavor), Jelly Bean (tough skin), and Sungolds (yeah, I thing they mislabelled the seeds. Mine were a dark orange color and not tasty at all. I'm going to try growing these again).

o

Has anyone mentioned Sungold?

o

I take cherry and grape tomatoes to work since we have a surplus, and they make such nice snacks. This year I am growing a color mix. Here is the order of disappearance of the cherry and other small tomatoes:

Black cherries
sungolds
green grapes
aliana yellows
texas wild (a red)

I am still in search for a good red OP cherry.

o

Well, here's another vote for GREEN DOCTORS. A wonderful cherry tomato with outstanding flavor. Just as good as SUNGOLD in my opinion, and better than BLACK CHERRY.

I grew out seeds from BIG SUNGOLD SELECT, not mentioned here, and find it inferior to the hybrid Sungold. Plus it ain't yellow :-)

Gary

o

mike63: "Definitely Sungold but in the interest of full disclosure I have never tried Black Cherry. Do they grow well in Zone 5?"

I'm in zone 6 and those are pretty much the only two cherries I grow every year. I'll add one other small tomato sometimes, but neither one of them ever comes out of the mix.

And, if I were forced to choose only one, it would be Sungold, and the choice wouldn't be difficult.

o

I grew Sun Gold and Supersweet 100 and liked them, but they are so small it takes too long to pick a decent volume of them. Ildi is also small but they grow in clusters that make them very easy to pick. Isis Candy gets better tasting as the season progresses, and are about twice the size of Sun Gold. The sleeper no one mentioned is Juliette, not really a cherry because it is oblong shaped. The unique thing about Juliette is it never rots or gets sun scald, and are super easy to pick because they break off clean and don't split while picking them. If they fall off by themselves and sit on the ground for a few days they still look perfect. They don't taste as good as the others, but the no rot, no insect damage properties offset that and I will grow them every year for making sun dried tomatoes.
Chadwick cherry is much bigger than the other cherries, but the taste is just O.K.

o

Yellow Currant hands down. these tiny little jewels BURST in your mouth with so much flavour. They aren't overly sweet and have a good tomatoey bite.

I wasn't thrilled with Black Cherry this year or Anna Aasa

o

In my opinon Haley's purple comet, Evan's purple pear (from Wild Boar farms)and Amish gold (a bit larger, with sungold in it's pedigree) are right up their with the favorites, (mine too!) sungold and black cherry. Sweetgold, a hybrid is another winner. These are my favorites. I'm growing 20+ cherries for color and variety but these are the ones I eat off the vine and keep for myself......

o

Quick update- Green Grape was the most flavorful but yield was low ; ( Snow White was the most productive but keeps poorly.

Next year's grow list so far:

SunGold
Green Doctors
Husky Red Cherry
Riesentraube

Is Green Doctors a sport of Galina? Thinking about trying that one, too.

Californian i like Juliet for all the reasons you listed. It's not my first choice for fresh eating but great for cooking, especially roasted.

o

Large Red Cherry,and Mexican Midget for salads,And Sungold for eating out of hand in the garden.Sungold too sweet for salads!!

o

My Sungolds, which are normally my absolute favorite cherry, have been extremely prolific, even faced with a psyllid infestation, however they haven't been sweet. At all.

Isis Candy, however, has been a total and complete scene-stealer. The fruits are larger than Sungold, but beautiful and yellow/red, and they're meaty, fruity flavored, and SWEET! I blame the cool weather for the less-than-stellar Sungolds, but since Isis Candy has done so well with the temps, I think I'll be planting much more next year, and replacing some of the spots I'd normally reserve for Sungolds.

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 5, 10 at 12:31

Always Sun Gold. Would like to try a purple/black cherry next year ... Black Cherry or Chocolate Cherry.

o

SunSugar has been a reliable producer of super sweet cherry tomatoes for the last 2 years in my garden.

And the best part is that they don't crack, even when left to ripen on the vine and we have a heavy downpour!

Happy Gardening,

PJ

o

Red - Gardener's Delight or Supersweet 100's
Yellow/Gold - Sungold
Black - Black Cherry
Green - ??? NOT Green Grape
JMO,
Tom

o

ruthz, contact me in January, CGG one of my projects. It won first place in its category at the East Concord (NY) Tomato Festival judging in 2007...

On another note, I should also mention that Snow White won "Sweetest Tomato" at the Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest party both 2009 & 2010!

o

korney19, sent you a pm regarding above post.

o

I didn't see even one mention of Sweet Baby Girl. I keep these in pots by my pool and even the tomato hating grandson pops them in his mouth as he gets in & out of the pool. Are they too sweet ? They split in rainy weather but we eat them anyway... is that bad?

o

There's a new variety out called Val's Red Nibbler. Available from Gleckler Seedmen.It's a Red Grape with excellent production and sweeeet tomato taste. Ami

Here is a link that might be useful: Val's Red Nibbler

o

Koralik is my new favorite red cherry. It is sweet, flavorful, and prolific. There is no downside.

o

I have tried Juliet cherries for 3 years. First year it was fantastic. Could not eat enough. Last 2 years, not as good but I thought it was the weird weather. I never see it listed on here as a favorite.
Taste is subjective but I don't quite understand the sweetness issue. Don't care for overly sweet taste. Just wish I could find tomatoes tasting like from my parents' garden in the 50's and 60's!!

Site issue: I always wonder why you must preview your message and can't just hit "post" after writing it!

o

I like SSE's Velvet Red, the 2009 winner, and Lemon Drop, the 2010 winner. These have more of a "big tomato" flavor in a small size and are not as sweet as a lot of cherries.

I still like Sungold for a sweeter flavor and ease of growing.

o

If you want to look at some recent tomatoes in this general group, take a look at Blush from Seeds of Change and Wow from Fedco.

DarJones

o

I am growing super sweet 100 this year for the first time so can't say yet but am glad to see the high praise it has received here.

I grew sunsugar 2 years ago and found it to be the sweetest ever. Produced well. Not a very complex taste though.

Last year I grew sungold. Not as sweet as sunsugar but delicious. My favorite tomato. The first tomatoes were tart but they became sweeter later in the year. Huge production even though a rabbit bit off the top when the plant was still tiny. I took it down on Oct. 18 and it still had over 200 green tomatoes left. Complex taste like wine. I regret not growing sungold again this year but didn't have time to grow from seed and the nursery only had the supersweet100s.

o

A lot of info to digest.Just what 2 cherry tomatoes would be easy enough for a 1st time gardener?

o

Just what 2 cherry tomatoes would be easy enough for a 1st time gardener?

Any of them would be fine unless you are using some sort of small container - please don't. The bigger the container the better your results will be as most cherry varieties are very BIG plants.

But unless you plan to grow from seed yourself your choice will be limited to whatever transplants are available for you to buy locally. Can't say what those choices might be in your area.

Dave

o

I'll cast a vote for yellow pear. Also, who has experience with burpee cherries jubilee?

o

My favorite by far is the snow white.....I love the sweet ones! Botanical interests carries a "rainbow blend" that has snow white, green grape, red sweetie, multi colored, and sun gold.....the multi colored is very good too......starts off yellow, then gets a beautiful rose colored hue!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here