Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Camp Joy cherry

Posted by minflick 9b/7, Boulder Creek, (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 16:58

Does this thing EVER not split when ripe? My watering isn't perfect, I'll admit, but nothing else is splitting like this one. If I leave it on the vine to ripen, it splits either before I pick it, as I pick it, or in the kitchen bowl... The only way to avoid splitting seems to be to pick early, and that defeats the entire purpose of growing 'maters at home!

And to me, it's not the SFW taste that would make me willing to tolerate this annoyance. It's OK here in the redwoods, but it's not a thrill to eat, it's just OK. I want them wonderful, warm, and aromatic and this fails at anything but 'warm'.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Camp Joy cherry

In So Cal here. Have not had much splitting with camp joy. Maybe 1 in 20 or less. Very prolific. Over 1000 cherries from one plant. Agree on taste. Not special.

o

When suggestions for red cherries are asked for Chadwick's Cherry, aka Camp Joy, is always one of the ones I suggest.

Taste for me is great, hardly ever splits and production is wonderful.

For any given variety there will always be differences of opinion since the season in when it's grown as to all the variables that go into growing tomatoes will always be different as are the ways that folks grow their tomatoes and where they do so in a geographic sense.

I've grown Camp Joy, BTW, which is the grow out area for Bountiful Gardens in CA where Alan Chadwick from England developed this variety thus the two names, many times and it has always worked out well for me.

Taste is both personal and perceptual and even has a human genetic component so it's no wonder that a given variety can taste differently to different folks/

If a variety has been highly suggested to me and it doesn't perform the first time I almost always give it a second chance to show me what it can do in a different season with different variables.

Carolyn

o

SFW ?

o

• Posted by minflick 9b/7, Boulder Creek, (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 10:54

SFW - Simply 'Effing' Wonderful. My MIL didn't like cursing, so DH started using the acronym.

Splitting - so, most likely because my watering is inconsistent? OK, that can be worked on!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here